Brand new Betta's! (Split Tank) 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by AlexAlex, Dec 10, 2012.

1. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I split the tank with an acrylic measuring square from Wal-Mart for $3.99. The heater is on one side and the filter with it rigged to have very little flow on the other side. A few very small holes were made to balance the filtration and heat. Very simple to concoct and construct. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I was hoping to make a divider out of acrylic over break. I'm going to frost mine though (read: sandblast) since Vlad is a bit on the boisterous side :p Glad to know it'll work.

Looks great! I love the names :)

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Great job! Have they noticed each other?

Very pretty Betta's - are you planning on breeding them? :)

4. OP
    OP
    A

AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Oh yes... Every time Scarlet goes up to the split of the tank, Rhett will flare at her. For the most part, he ignores her.

On the breeding, I'm not sure how to do that without one tearing the other to shreds.

5. kinezumi89

I would advise against it, it's a much larger endeavor than breeding other fish (as it seems like you already know). Plus, once the fry get old enough, you have to house them all separately. Sounds like a good project for once I'm retired :p

6. OP
    OP
    A

It would probably put you into an early grave! LoL!

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Very pretty tank! Love the gravel.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but keeping a male and female betta in a divided tank is a big no no. Males release hormones (when females are present) which put girls in the 'mood'. So she'll begin producing eggs and such. Because of this the female often ends up being eggbound from over exposure. I've had it happen to me more times than I care to remember :(.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you for the information, Rogue.

When I get my other 5 Gallon (For my office here at home - In a couple of weeks), then I will put Scarlet in it with a female and then put another male in with Rhett. Will that work?

9. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Housing males in a split tank should be fine. Beautiful setup.

10. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Yep that'll work great! Just watch your Scarlet very carefully for these few weeks. If you notice any bloating/bulking up or Rhett building a giant bubble nest you need to take her out. Doing large waterchanges fairly often will help a LOT too.

11. OP
    OP
    A

I am changing my initial plan. I did do some heavy research on this the other day. I wasn't going to do this, but since she needed to be moved, I am acclimating her right now on a trial basis to go into my 20 Gallon tank.

The Setup: 8 Neons and 3 Otos. I've heard that Bettas should be fine housed with both of those. I did read that Neons can possibly nip at the Betta, but I'll be keeping a very close eye out on Scarlet.

Hopefully I won't get darts thrown at me for this. ;)

12. kinezumi89

Nah, I wanted to keep a female betta in my community tank initially too. People told me it could severely limit my stocking, but neons I would guess would be fine. They're fast enough to keep up and don't have flowy tails the betta would nip, and look different enough that she shouldn't think they're bettas. Also since it's a *female* betta and not a male, she can swim better and be able to keep away, should the neons want to go after her. I would definitely keep an eye on it though. :)

13. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks for the support, kinezumi.

Scarlet has been in the tank with them for about an hour or so. She's doing great! She actually swims with the Neons at times... It's sort of cute. But yes, I am keeping my eyes on the scenario, though.

I do have a plan B just in case. If I have to separate her, I have a 20 Gallon split screen I bought a while back and it fits a 20 and 29 Gallon (You have the option of either). That will be put into the 20 Gallon if it came to that. Like I had noted in a previous comment, this is a trial to see how it goes with Scarlet and the Neons. :)

Edit: I had wondered about the female Bettas being faster at swimming than males. It seemed she was doing better on the side which the filter was on. I do have the filter (on the 20 gallon) rigged to where the current flow is much lower so she can get around better.

14. kinezumi89

Female bettas can swim better than makes becuse they have smaller caudal fins. :)

15. OP
    OP
    A

Nice to know. :)

16. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

Isn't a 5 gallon a bit small to divide for two bettas?

17. OP
    OP
    A

A lot of what I've read, as long as they have 2 Gallons minimum, then they should thrive fine.

18. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

That setup is bigger than what most bettas get, I think. I don't see anything wrong with it per say. It's just smaller than what I would do, but I tend to spoil mine. And it helped that I had an empty 10 just "lying around." :) My guy is in the 10g with his cory entourage. I'm hoping to bump them up to the 20h once I upgrade my goldfish tank though.

19. OP
    OP
    A

I definitely wouldn't put two Bettas in less than a 5 Gallon, though. That's the minimum, IMO. Rhett seems to be very happy with his surroundings.

I'll be getting another male "roommate" for him (the other side of the tank) this weekend as I put Scarlet in the 20 Gallon.

20. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

I agree - no less than 5g. You have a very nice setup. I like the light vs dark. Rhett looks like a very happy boy too. Sounds like you have a very busy weekend ahead of you. Have fun! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice