Brand New Aquaclear 50 Stopped Working

1. Kesh88 Member Member

Help! I've just tried setting up my brand new Aquaclear 50 and it just stopped working! :-(

I followed all the instructions, connected everything, filled the unit with water, plugged it in, it ran for about 2 minutes then just stopped. I noticed it was very rattly sounding when it was running but thought it might just need a few minutes to settle. I heard a click then it just stopped running :-/ when I unplugged it the motor unit was very hot. I've tried repositioning the impeller and plugging it in again but no luck :-(

I'm not sure if it could be because the unit has an American plug and I'm using at adapter to an Australian plug? Did I fry the motor?

2. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

This might sound stupid but have you tried plugging it into a different power socket? If it was pushing water it won't over heat, my ran for about 3 hrs without water last week and it was fine and it is over 25yrs old the aquaclear are a pretty solid unit they are hard to break

3. Kesh88 Member Member

Yeah I've tried a couple of sockets, no luck

4. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Where did you get it from amazon? I'd be looking for a refund. Can you turn the impeller when you have the motor off? Try plugging the motor in not on the filter and give the impeller a little flick to see if it starts up

5. Kesh88 Member Member

I got it from Amazon :-( nothing happens at all when I plug the motor in

6. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Sorry I can't help more I know mine was a bit noisey and kept stopping pumping when I first set it up but I just did those things I suggested and now it runs silently and strong

7. Kesh88 Member Member

Is the impeller meant to spin freely or just do a couple of rotations and stop when flicked?

8. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Yeah spin then stop it is a big magnet.

Have you tried a different plug adapter?

Also did you try plugging it in and giving the impeller a spin

9. Kesh88 Member Member

I think I've fried the motor, my fiance just gave me a lesson on 120 to 240v adaptors which I wasn't using!

10. Kesh88 Member Member

I want to cry, I just fried $70!

11. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

12. Kesh88 Member Member

Thanks :) I've already ordered a replacement from that site :)

13. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Good luck