brand new 90 gallon coming soon!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fishtankguy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. f

fishtankguy New Member Member

im getting a 90 gallon in almost a week for my birthday and am trying to decide what to get.i belive a 90 gallon if 4ft by 18in by 24in.correct? i was thinking of some kind of large catfish with some large mean/cool looking cichlids. but the catch it, i want to have live plants. what cichlids that are big and mean looking could have live plants with them? and what catfish wouldnt get killed? i also love the look of catfish with large mouths and how to eat they inhale everything near them.:) also, i dont know why but i really dont like the cichlids that get a GIANT bump on their head's. i dont mind a tiny bit of a bump but not crazy. any suggestions? i was possibly thinking maybe a green terror and a raphael catfish for the 2 centerpeice fish. would that work? do green terror develope that bump? what oter fish could i add?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. N

Nieveso New Member Member

2 Oscars (babies) they do grow bigger than a human head 6 Albino convicts ( I'm not sure of this name but I think it's called a drenloid fish??? Get 2) and some assorted chichilds and 4 of the biggest swordtails you can find :D

3. m

mrgoogls Valued Member Member

My dad had an Oscar when I was like 4. The only reason I don't want then is because they destroy a tank. And I want a nice planted tank. Could a green terror work? Do they get a bump or destroy plant? I really love their personality and color? And the same question for an electric blue jack dempsey

4. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

pretty much any cichlids you get will rearrange they tank untell they get it the way they want it. And unless you get dwarf cichlids plants won't last long. You can get some pretty real looking fake ones

5. N

Nieveso New Member Member

A green terror and a jack Dempsey will not destroy plants and neitheir will convicts and get some angel fish too

6. OP
    OP
    f

i didnt think angels could work with like a jack. i would think the jacks would at least mess up their fins pretty bad if not kill them because they are so aggressive. also, do the jack or terrors get the bump?!?!?!?

7. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

green terrors don't get a bump but they have pretty good sized foreheads. Look at them on google images :)

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'll be looking forward to updates on your new 90g tank! :) That's great!

Use caution stocking you tank and research, research and do more research. Fish with names of Devil and Terror usually live up to that name and may not appreciate tank mates. These fish can be very aggressive!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/grenterror.php

Angel Fish probably would not survive with such an aggressive species.

Ken

9. OP
    OP
    f

thanks ken. i didnt think te angels would be ablue to live with them. even if by some chance they stayed alive, they wouldnt have a very good life... i think for a center piece i will get a green terror. what could i pt with them? and what kind of catfish? could a columbian shark work?

also, if i decide to get a jack dempsey(witch after a bit of research i might do) could i possibly grow him out in a little tank i have in my basement? it will of course be cycled and fully operational. but the LFS near me sells jacks at about an inch long. and in a 90 gal. i think he might get lost:O lol jk about that but it would look really wierd. so could i grow him to like at least 3-4 inchs then add him in? that could also be like a make quaretine system:D the tank in VERY small. i think it is like a 10 gallon. i could be wrong. i didnt buy it. i can measure it once i find it.... but if we assume for now it is 10 gal. could i grow out a JD or green terror to like 3-4 inchs in it? if i can that is fine. i hope i can though

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    f

also,for the catfish i want. could i possibly have a raphael catfish work WITH the columbian or just have 1? could either of those work with the aggressive cichlids?

11. OP
    OP
    f

Hello? any here? i think i decided to go with a jack dempsey. i really like to electric blue ones. but they are like 50$. anyone know were i can get one cheaper? also, what could i put with a Jack?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice