Brand new 80g cichlid tank.

1. Corbin613 Initiate Member

Alright guys the water set I've got 5 cichlids.. Got the coral rocks. Awesome aqua tech 110gal filter. Cichlid colour enhancing flakes. Other food. Heater and I'm at 79-83 F it's been great for a couple weeks. Posting because I want to hear some tips I should know about cichlid maintenance.. Water changes and whatnot. Got a pleco in there and I plan on getting another one. Just wondering anything else I should have in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

If it is a common pleco, it should be the only one you have. They are territorial and will fight with each other. Not to mention they are huge waste producers, and will grow to around 15 inches long.

What kind of cichlids are they? There are many different kinds. Some are compatible. Some are not.

Keeping them is like keeping any fish. Keep the water clean and you should be fine. Change at least 50% of the water once a week. If you have gravel, you should be using a gravel vacuum when you are siphoning out your water. If it is sand or bare bottom, then you should be sucking out any debris you may have when you change your water. You should rinse out the the mechanical media in your filter once a month with tank water. Use it until it deteriorates.

Other than that, feed them daily, keep the temperature steady, and enjoy them.

3. Corbin613 Initiate Member

Made sure they were African. Got konvicts a bumblebee and a jewel

4. Corbin613 Initiate Member

Thanks for the tips and il stick to one pleco.