Brainstorming Ideas - Stocking 10 Gal With Betta Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CivicsTeach, Apr 15, 2018.

1. C

CivicsTeach New Member Member

I had planned on building a larger tank, but rental limitations put a halt on that.
    So.... I decided to really focus on my 10 gallon. I have it pretty heavily planted with 1 pretty non-aggressive betta and a nerite snail. It's running on a diy overflow/trickle tower with a 10 gallon sump for a total of 20 gallons in the system.
    With all that in mind, what do you think I could add to really make it... pop... I guess.
    Picture included and any suggestions are much appreciated (the water is not cloudy so much as I could not focus properly and the back wall is kind of grungy - need to scrape it next water change).
    0415180037.jpg

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Maybe add more colorful decorations? Colorful gravel what theme are you going for? Looks like pond to me

3. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

Shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp they are beautiful, easy to care for creatures. I recommend starting with ghost shrimp but cherry shrimp are a good choice to just be careful with water fluctuations

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of lighting and ferts do you use? Any CO2? Rather than adding fish (a 10 gal is too small for a betta with other fish), what about adding some more colorful plants to break the green up?

He may seem non-aggressive, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be aggressive to fish or shrimp. RCS are in danger of being eaten, but ghost and Amano shrimp can be too big to be messed with.

5. OP
    OP
    C

CivicsTeach New Member Member

Sort of pond. The gravel in there is Seachem Fluorite for the plants, so I'm staying with that. I do have some extra pieces of colorful miscellany (crystals and such) that may work to add some color.

Light is an Aqueon Optibright Plus. I do Flourish, Excel, Potassium, and Flourish tabs for the sad Crypts and the S. Repens. I've thought about adding some red Crypts, but I've had such bad luck with my first batch. Everything else is thriving.
    As far as non-aggressive - he was previously housed with a group of Endlers as well as some ghost shrimp, and was totally fine with them. Do you think Amanos would be too big for a 10? My lfs doesn't tend to carry them due to limited freshwater space.

I have done ghost shrimp before, but water fluctuations in their old smaller tank (5 with a HOB) killed them. That was one of my main inspirations to build the overflow system. I may go the shrimpy route again...

6. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I'd be careful adding shrimp, betta often think they are a great snack.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Amanos are fine in a 10 gal, and would be a great choice!

Try Crypt wendtii bronze - super easy, and it has a nice bronze color.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice