Brackish Water snails

Gasio6844

Hello all, I just recently got into the brackish water setups and am deciding on what livestock to add to my 29 gallon tank. I'm a bit stuck on this one since I know some snails can tolerate brackish environments such as the nerite snail, but I feel that I wanna change it up a little since I already have nerites in my freshwater tank. The salinity right now is around 1.003 and I am aiming at raising it to 1.008. Any suggestions on what snails I should get is much appreciated.

wishuponafish

Black devil snails come from brackish water in the wild and giant ramshorns can tolerate brackish, and malaysian trumpets aren't bothered by it one bit. Also, there are tons of varieties of nerites so you could try new types of those too.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I've had Malaysian Trumpet Snails live in full salt for a long time when acclimated - they don't breed, but they do survive. The different varieties of Nerites would be really cool. Ramshorns and Pond snails will live up to around 1.004.

I say this with caution - but any marine snail or crab that's known to inhabit tidepools and estuaries would be suitable as well. Some turbo snails, some astreas, periwinkles, limpets, etc... Could all work. But not all species are appropriate and it's very difficult to find vendors that sell specific species and not several species under one name. So, basically, I'd wager that a lot of marine snails would likely do well as low as 1.012-1.014.

What kind of live stock are you keeping? It's not snails, but if you could push it up to around 1.010-1.012, some species of marine hermits begin to do well (as long as the water is hard - I might add some cuttlebone to the filter). I've kept hermits with young Green Spotted Puffers in as low as 1.008, but it was short term since I was increasing the salinity fairly rapidly.

Upvote 0

Gasio6844

I think Malaysian Trumpet Snails can live in brackish water.
Yea, I heard that malaysian trumpet snails are able to get used to brackish water and are a good addition but there is also the chance that there might be an overpopulation? Or?
Black devil snails come from brackish water in the wild and giant ramshorns can tolerate brackish, and malaysian trumpets aren't bothered by it one bit. Also, there are tons of varieties of nerites so you could try new types of those too.
Black devil snails sound interesting but I do have to check if my lfs has them. True, there are many varieties of nerites and I might actually check into those in this case. I just wasn't sure if they all tolerate the same level of salt.
I've had Malaysian Trumpet Snails live in full salt for a long time when acclimated - they don't breed, but they do survive. The different varieties of Nerites would be really cool. Ramshorns and Pond snails will live up to around 1.004.

I say this with caution - but any marine snail or crab that's known to inhabit tidepools and estuaries would be suitable as well. Some turbo snails, some astreas, periwinkles, limpets, etc... Could all work. But not all species are appropriate and it's very difficult to find vendors that sell specific species and not several species under one name. So, basically, I'd wager that a lot of marine snails would likely do well as low as 1.012-1.014.

What kind of live stock are you keeping? It's not snails, but if you could push it up to around 1.010-1.012, some species of marine hermits begin to do well (as long as the water is hard - I might add some cuttlebone to the filter). I've kept hermits with young Green Spotted Puffers in as low as 1.008, but it was short term since I was increasing the salinity fairly rapidly.
Right now the livestock I am keeping in this tank are 3 male mollies and 5 guppies. That's why I also have to accommodate for their salt levels. I also have to mention that I also have 3 fiddler crabs in this setup, which is mainly why I made this tank into a brackish tank. I have an underwater island in there with supply of air from an air pump and they seem to be enjoying it. Didn't know that marine hermits were able to tolerate living in those salt levels, and that gives me some ideas.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

Yea, I heard that malaysian trumpet snails are able to get used to brackish water and are a good addition but there is also the chance that there might be an overpopulation? Or?

Black devil snails sound interesting but I do have to check if my lfs has them. True, there are many varieties of nerites and I might actually check into those in this case. I just wasn't sure if they all tolerate the same level of salt.
One of my brackish tanks is so overrun with malaysian trumpet snails that they're basically the substrate... I don't mind at all since they clean up the tank but I can understand it being unappealing to a lot of people. I don't even overfeed or anything either.

The majority of nerites will be able to handle between 1.005~1.008, but some quick research for whatever species you think you'd want would be wise.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Right now the livestock I am keeping in this tank are 3 male mollies and 5 guppies. That's why I also have to accommodate for their salt levels. I also have to mention that I also have 3 fiddler crabs in this setup, which is mainly why I made this tank into a brackish tank. I have an underwater island in there with supply of air from an air pump and they seem to be enjoying it. Didn't know that marine hermits were able to tolerate living in those salt levels, and that gives me some ideas.
Both guppies and mollies can live in full saltwater - I don't know what a fiddler crab's salt tolerance is, but I imagine it's pretty high. So if you wanted to try some hermits or maybe some snails that do better in slightly saltier water (I'm thinking no higher than 1.014), it could definitely be done as long as you acclimate the tank very slowly. Again, not sure about the fiddlers.

Here's a saltwater tank I had a couple years ago with mollies and guppies. I hate that I talked in it, but it's got some decent info!

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

MTS in my tank as well (1.018) As stated, they might be substrate at this time lol. Regardless, they stay buried a lot. Apple snails nope right out of the tank almost immediately. Seconded on the hermit crabs as well. Have two red legged in my tank and they’re just fun to watch.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Won't Nerite snail hatch in brackish water?

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

Won't Nerite snail hatch in brackish water?
It's a myth that they'll take over brackish tanks. They are extremely hard to raise if not hatch, even if you're actually trying to breed them.

Upvote 0

Gasio6844

One of my brackish tanks is so overrun with malaysian trumpet snails that they're basically the substrate... I don't mind at all since they clean up the tank but I can understand it being unappealing to a lot of people. I don't even overfeed or anything either.

The majority of nerites will be able to handle between 1.005~1.008, but some quick research for whatever species you think you'd want would be wise.
Yea they do seem to do well on cleanup, but yea the unappealing part. Im not sure if my lfs sells them but I have seen small snails in their tanks that look like MTS.
Both guppies and mollies can live in full saltwater - I don't know what a fiddler crab's salt tolerance is, but I imagine it's pretty high. So if you wanted to try some hermits or maybe some snails that do better in slightly saltier water (I'm thinking no higher than 1.014), it could definitely be done as long as you acclimate the tank very slowly. Again, not sure about the fiddlers.

Here's a saltwater tank I had a couple years ago with mollies and guppies. I hate that I talked in it, but it's got some decent info!

Yea, I'm thinking I might give it a try with the hermits or perhaps turbo snails, but I am assuming that I have to get the salinity up some more before I can introduce them into the tank? Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Yea they do seem to do well on cleanup, but yea the unappealing part. Im not sure if my lfs sells them but I have seen small snails in their tanks that look like MTS.

Yea, I'm thinking I might give it a try with the hermits or perhaps turbo snails, but I am assuming that I have to get the salinity up some more before I can introduce them into the tank? Thanks for the info.
Yeah, you'll have to have it within the range I listed at the very least.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BPSabelhaus
Replies
Views
Passionfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep