Brackish water changes

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by PuffPuff, Jul 13, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

Just got a figure 8 puffer and I'm trying to figure out how do I do a proper water change? Since salt is involved...
    If anyone can help me out. @Gena you the expert here,help

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Mix the salt into the water 24 hours before a water change if possible. I deal with marine tanks but they both deal with the same salt so I figure the instructions would be the same.

Fill a bucket with water, add the appropriate amount of salt to it and use a powerhead to circulate the water to help dissolve the salt. Use a refractometer 24 hours later to make sure the salinity is the correct level for your tank and if so, do the water change.

3. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

so if my tank is at 1.005 and i do a 25%. do i have to get the water in the bucket at the same salinity, i dont want to add more salinity.

4. LiterallyHydro

Yes, the water will have to be at the same salinity. When you are doing a water change and siphoning out the water, you are also removing the salt from that water.

But when you top off the tank from evaporation, use fresh water. Salt does not evaporate, so if you top off with brackish water, your salinity will rise.

Also make sure you are using marine salt like Instant Ocean and not aquarium salt.

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

so top off will be regular condition water as for actual water changes they are with the same salinity! got it!

6. LiterallyHydro

Do continue to ask questions if any come up. Educating yourself is key in this hobby. :)

7. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Salinity does not need to be the same. Brackish waters are tidal, and go fresher, then saltier, twice a day, with the tides. It's actually better for the fish to vary the salinity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice