Brackish Tank

1. m103876 Initiate Member

So when I was growing up we kept a blue crab as a pet a couple of times (over several years) and we didn't have a problem doing so. I recently tried to do this again and both times I've introduced a blue crab to the tank it has died within 12 hours of introduction. I am new to saltwater tanks (except from memory). I set a 10 gallon tank up 4 weeks in advance with a canister filter (no charcoal, just UV light and mechanical filtration). NH3 levels were below readable and salinity was about 11 ppt (which is what I read when I tested the actual river water where the crabs came from).

Admittedly, I never tested nitrate, nitrite levels, or pH. I used "City water" and originally added it straight to the tank. I never changed the water. Obviously, (obvious to me now) I did not monitor an actual nitrogen cycle occurring in the tank and there was possible (probable?) chlorine in the water from the start (grew up with a well, didn't think about it).

Since a blue crab straight from the water can live a pretty long time out of water anyway, dying this fast seems like there was something very much not agreeable with the tank water. I am going to go ahead and do the proper cycle, de-chlorination and monitoring now but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum can think of anything else that could be wrong? Not interested in any more preventable mistakes..

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, sorry you're having a problem, hope you get some responses today