Brackish tank setup

Furallicah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Puffers are usually transition fish. And pefer slightly salty water. As they grow older you can adventually change over to a salt water tank. But this link might help.
But they can be kept in brackish tanks, which is what most people do.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Jaime! ;D
I replied in your puffer research thread, but I'm not sure you saw it.

If you need any help, I am happy to help however I can. Keep in mind, though, I have never kept a brackish tank, only Freshwater and marine (reef) tanks. But, I think with my experience with marine tanks I may be able to at least point you in the right direction. If there is anything I can do, let me know!

On Fishlore, I know that Pinkfloydpuffer can probably be a ton of help to you. I haven't seen her post in a while, but maybe shoot her a PM? I believe she's kept GSP's and other brackish puffers.

pepetj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First you need to correctly ID the puffer you are about to keep. There are some strictly freshwater puffers. Others need freshwater as juveniles. Then low-end salinity (brackish here we go!). Some stay there and do great. Others require an increase in salinity (still brackish). Some puffers are true marine species.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

OP
X

xxSTEPHENSxx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Harpua - Thanks.. I replied to that thread.

Pepetj - I am trying to decide between F8 and GSP.

This is my understanding on Freshwater to BW

Freshwater to brackish is really easy, you just buy marine salt and a hydrometer or refractometer, add the marine salt to a bucket with water in it, use the hydrometer or refractometer to measure salinity to get it where you need it, let the salt water sit for a day, and then add it to the tank. you don't need any special equipment or anything, but just remember that salt won't evaporate from your tank, and make sure you test the salinity to keep things in check.

New Threads