brackish tank....maybe?

1. bryce1217 Member Member

Im looking at starting up a brackish tank. It would be around a 30 gallon tank. Ive looked around on here and I just wanted a thread where everyone could post their opinions on what specifically they think should be done. Things such as preferred substrates, fish, lighting, plants and decorations and such! let me know all your opinions and such on brackish tanks and how best to set one up! thanks in advance!

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Mudskipper!

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. bryce1217 Member Member

hey renthus. I love the mudskipper where can I find those at because ive never even seen thos before. they look kinda like a goby if you ask me.
    Hey anders247, ive previously looked at this list a few times and I really like the mono sebae and the green scats!

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd also give my vote to mudskippers, I've seen some really amazing set ups for them.
    Monos & scats would be too big for a 30 gallon

6. renthus Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I have no idea where one can find mudskippers. They don't seem to be on aquabid. Maybe go to your LFS and see if they can special order a couple for you? They probably don't have an appropriate tank set up for them there, but you can probably arrange to pick them up when they come in with the rest of the shipment.

7. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

mudskippers do come up once in awhile. Not a beginner fish though. Just make sure you research the specific species cause some get big! There is a guy who sells Indian mudskippers (tiny) in NY. If I recall his name I'll send it your way.

I've always liked this guys breakdown for setup ideas: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

My personal favorites outside of mudskippers are BB gobies and Figure 8 puffers. I'd do one or the other. It really depends on the salinity level that you want.

8. bryce1217 Member Member

sorry i havent replied ive been swamped with extra early college classes that are due in 14 days ughhhhhh so much work i know that monos and scats are to big for a 30 gallon i was just saying that i liked them i wish i had a tank big enough for them lol i wish i could upgrade all my tanks

9. bryce1217 Member Member

thank you guys for your help! ill have to look for a mudskipper!

10. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

If you are going with a mudskipper, I would suggest looking a quick look at Bettabar's post for a small reference on what setup is needed for mudskippers.