Brackish Plants

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by Little Tank of Happiness, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Hello!

So I am thinking about starting a brackish tank (20 long) with one f8 puffer. I asked some f8 puffer care questions on the puffer forum as well as some plants but here I seem to find the best plant advice!

Here are the plants that I have read do well in brackish:
    Anacharis
    Anubias
    Bacopa
    Hornwort
    Water sprite
    Cryptocoryne
    Pygmy chain sword
    Dwarf hairgrass (said they do best in cool water though and I plan to keep my tank at 78... would you try this or skip it?)
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Dwarf sagittaria
    Vallisneria (preferably giant vals but could spirals also work?)

Plants I have questions about:
    These plants I find mixed opinions about or very few opinions so I am iffy and want to see what you guys would say. All you have to write is yes/no and a short explanation (ex: doesn't do well in high pH :))

Ludwigia
    Cabomba
    Marimo moss balls
    Amazon sword

Next, on Live Aquaria there are 2 plant packs I'm interested in. The screen shot below says what they contain. Any of these plants I should stay away from? What do you think is the best deal (in your opinion?) Also, anyone have experience with Live Aquaria?

Sorry for the loads of questions, but I really want to do this right!

Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I had a little bit of Hornwort in my brackish tank before but it all died. I didn't acclimate it though!

3. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

Yeah I read some plants have to be acclimated carefully.

4. APierce

I did finally put a few pieces of java fern on my rock last night! So far it is doing ok, I had to anchor it down with some smaller pieces of live rock though, hoping the roots will quickly grow into the rock :)

5. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

Awesome! Java fern is a great plant. I am sure you will love it! People do commonly recommend putting it on rocks and driftwood. I will probably buy some driftwood and a few small rocks for my tank. I also saw an article saying that f8s like plastic tubes and just tubes in general, so driftwood is nice in that aspect!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Java fern and live rocks? Any idea on online ordering?

6. APierce

The java fern I got like a year ago on ebay and the live rocks were from Amazon (they were dry base rock, no worries about hitchhikers)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice