Brackish need help

1. Jon Well Known Member Member

dont know if i spelt brackish right oh well

i have a 10 gallon tank with 1m 3f guppies in it and a lil over 1 tblspn of salt in the water because i hear they do better with a lil salt

i was hoping now that it is cycled to add 1 dwarf gourami and 2-3 cories...

Will these fish do okay with slightly salty water?

also if you could suggest good EASY plants w/ low light reqs that would do well in slightly salty water that would be appreciated ty

-- jon

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

well thats not really considered brackish ;) but oh well...brackish is more salt than that and they require special monitoring to keep the salinity at a constant level..
    Cories do not really like salt. Also the guppies dont really need salt. They were most likely born and raised with no salt. Are you using table salt or aquarium salt?

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

aquarium ty for the info sorry ive read in other places that they like it... hmm sry i will replace the water slowly with no salt water

ps-- if i add cories and a gourami the salt wont kill them will it? its not a great deal of salt and i think ive read they can take up to 2 tsp per gallon and i have nowhere near that much ty for advice

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

in the wild i think they like a bit of salt, but in captivity normally no pet stores add salt anymore. If your guppy is constipated or pregnant you can add epsom salt though. That will help them.
    :)

5. Jon Well Known Member Member

it wont be fatal to cories or gouramis though will it? just a lil until it is all changed out?

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

no it won't be fatal, just they don't like it and over a while they'd probably get stressed (thus be susceptible to disease)
    so they would be okay if you just changed it out
    and yes, you spelled brackish right ;)

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol ty for the advice ill change the water more than normal over the next few days to get the salt out...