Brackish Help - Should I make my tank Brackish instead of Freshwater?

Ameano

Hello, just to get this clear, I am a beginner. I have a previously cycled tank that's still running. It's a 10gal fresh water, and it housed a beta before they died. I know it cycled as it had a (small but it still happened) ammonia spike that calmed down rather quickly. I can give an image of the test strip results for water parameters. The water is hard. The only inhabitants in their atm are 1 adult rabbit snail, 2 small assassin snails, and of course some pest snails. I don't want to rehouse them. It has several live plants, some driftwood, and cave areas (decor + under the driftwood). I'm planning on getting some nerites and Amano shrimp. I hear that Amanos need brackish water to reproduce. I don't plan on getting any fish tankmates for them, but it might happen. I want the Amanos to be able to set up a colony. I was wondering if I should, or if I can do it safely, make the freshwater into a brackish tank. If I can do you have any guides, recommendations, or methods? Or, should I set up a separate small tank to put berried shrimp in?

david1978

Theres more to breeding amonos then just brackish water. They live in freshwater but the zygotes need brackish to survive then they go back to freshwater.

Ameano

Theres more to breeding amonos then just brackish water. They live in freshwater but the zygotes need brackish to survive then they go back to freshwater.
In that case, when I spot a berried shrimp, should I move it to a brackish tank until they hatch, then move them back to the main tank, or something else?

david1978

Breeding Amano Shrimp(Caridina Multidentata) / The Shrimp Farm

wishuponafish

The larvae need full saltwater while the adults can only live in up to light brackish, so you won't be able to make a self-sufficient colony.

Ameano

In that case, do you have any recommendations for a different freshwater shrimp that's easy to breed? I'd prefer not to do cherries, though, only because of their size. My tank is about 72 F btw

wishuponafish

In that case, do you have any recommendations for a different freshwater shrimp that's easy to breed? I'd prefer not to do cherries, though, only because of their size. My tank is about 72 F btw

Ghost shrimp are easy to breed, they're like amanos but don't need saltwater.

Ameano

Ghost shrimp sound good for what I have in mind. Do you know of any fish that won't attack the shrimp and their fry? Note, I have 2 caves, pearl weed, hornwort, java moss, etc.

wishuponafish

Ghost shrimp sound good for what I have in mind. Do you know of any fish that won't attack the shrimp and their fry? Note, I have 2 caves, pearl weed, hornwort, java moss, etc.

Otocinclus are the only fish that come to mind, the babies start as mosquito larvae-looking things that most fish would find appetizing.

Sheldon13

You say you don’t want to rehouse your snails, but the ones you have are freshwater. I also wouldn’t advise keeping the rabbit and assassins together.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27