Brace

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by psalm18.2, Dec 16, 2012.

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

My used 135 has a DIY brace in the middle, acrylic I believe. It's very secure and attached to the glass vs the plastic rim.

I should be ok right? Shouldn't bow?

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hi Psalm,

Hopefully it will be ok. Weather permitting, you may want to fill it up outside and see how it looks before filling it up indoors.

I had a 72g bowfront and the brace was broken by my cat jumping on it so I tried to silicone the brace back into place but it did not hold.

Lori purchased the tank from me (knowing the center piece was broken) and her husband attached a piece of steel across the rim of the tank to prevent it from bowing. The steel came down in front of the rim and on the backside too.

Ken

Edit:

Check out Lori's photos in the link below and you can see how the steel strip goes over the rim of the tank:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...95153-lorabell-updated-pics-under-my-sea.html

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

I have a 20 long that was originally meant for reptiles. The back piece of glass is just a 1/2 inch shorter and designed to accommodate a slide in lockable lid. It had no center bracket either and even still had a warning sticker about bowing glass if filled full. I used a piece of plexi-glass then used the holes already there for locking the lid down to secure the plexi strip in place. It's been up for 6 months and It seems to be holding up fine.

I still think Ken's idea of filling up before hand to check it out though. You have a lot more water, weight and pressure to deal with that I did!

4. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

How Thick of Glass is the tank?
    That looks like a solid fix I think you should be fine, But testing things is always a good idea,
    My top for my 55 was broke so I temporarily fixed it with aluminum strap that i got at lowes for 5$ enough for the sides and middle, until I build one or buy a plastic one,

5. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

How would I determine glass width? The tank empty weighs a good 200lb alone.

I can't put outside due to cold winter snow and ice. I will try a small leak test this weekend.

I like the metal brace idea. Might set up a few every foot or so for piece of mind. That middle brace is attached to the front and back glass below the rim.

6. M0T0

On the sides of the tank you should be able see how thick of glass the front pane is measure with a ruler or tape measure. With how heavy it sounds I'm betting its half inch glass, If that diy brace was done right you should be fine, I'm on my phone now but when I get a chance ill link you the youtube vid of the aluminum strap fix , same thing I did with my 55 its definetly a solid fix.

7. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

It is 1/2" glass all around, jusg measured. Thanks, I'd like to see that video.

8. M0T0

Done some research on your tank and its brickstyle tank it was made without a centerbrace the one some one added should be good enough there are a ton of diy techniques for centerbrace you can do a quick google search and find some, Sorry I couldn't find the video that I used.

9. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice