BPA and fish

Elvishswimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well summer is getting closer and my apartment is doing the usual... roasting.

I live on the top floor of a triplex with a large south facing window. It gets way hotter inside than outside more often than not.

My fish are feeling the effects too. It was 79F in my goldfish tank and they were looking pretty sluggish yesterday. Today is due to be hotter.

I was thinking of filling up some old nalgene water bottles that I don't use anymore, with tank water, and then freeze them and float them in their tank, to help with the heat a bit. I'm trying to find a way to rig up a small fan too.

I don't use the water bottles anymore because of the BPA in them... do you think the BPA will hurt the fish? Am I better off purchasing another cheap waterbottle instead?

I'm not sure if any of you know the actual effects, but what are your opinions... yay or nay?

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since your not going to be emptying the contents into the tank the frozen water bottles shouldn't hurt them
A fan blowing across the top of the water is also a great idea.
Carol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think I'd risk it. A quick google of "effects of BPA on fish" shows that BPA does impact fish, like finding ovary cells in male killifish's testes after they had been exposed to it. And since the Nalgene bottles are the same material all throughout, it would pose a risk just floating in there if in fact they really do leach the chemical.

And kudos to you for even thinking about!

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom