Bp Sick For Around 1 Month Help

1. c

chengzhongyi2013 New Member Member

Dear all,
    Appreciate your advice and help.
    Please see attached photos for sick Blood Parrot fish.
    Am trying to medicate using aquarium salt (0.1-0.3%) and increasing temperature to 30 degrees Celsius. And of course keeping the water clean through water changes.

Have metro, methylene Blue, Furan 2 and Parzi Pro stocked up at home.

Regards,
    Cheng

Attached Files:

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

This looks like the start of Hole in the head disease.

The first picture you see the cyst pushing out, which will cause the hole. You also see a line that starts from the gills and curves around the body. That’s also a sign. If memory serves me right that’s the nerves.

This happens due to poor water quality and/or poor diet.

There is drugs for HITH disease. Metronidazole should help.

3. OP
    OP
    c

Some updates from today.
    Changed 50% of tank water.
    Added back aquarium salt (now 0.2% in the 35 gallon and 0.3% in the 50 gallon tank)
    Fed around 15 pellets soaked in 0.3% epsom salt to one of the fish (the one with the red growth above it’s eye, it ate all of the pellets).

Other 2 fish are not eating.

Attached Files:

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I certainly hope your attempts to treat this will be with success...

I would probably actually start treatment. Early treatment will equal success...quicker recovery.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you.
    I will like to know if there are any:
    1. side effects of using metro over 3 doses
    2. prognosis of using 3 doses od metro on the liver, kidney of my BPs
    3. Are the symptoms definitely pointing to HITH?

Some photos from today’s visit - I don’t get to see them very often as they are not at my home.

They were given clean water 2 days ago.
    I re-dosed with 0.2% salt solution.
    The fish ate some corn (thawed frozen vegetables) , but the largest one will still not eat green peas (the smallest one has begun to eat peas).

Attached Files:

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you give us some more information?

Tank size and tank mates?

How often do you normally do water changes for maintenance, and how much do you change?

What are the water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

I ask these questions because they pertain to the cause of HITH. Adding meds without fixing the root of the problem can result in the disease coming right back, or affecting another fish.

7. OP
    OP
    c

Hello,
    Please see the parameters of my 2 tanks.
    Tank size: 40 gallons and 60 gallons respectively
    Tank mates: 1 fish (in the 40 gallon tank 1 ), 2 fish (in the 60 gallon tank 2)

Water parameters:
    PH: 7.6 (using API test kit)
    Temp: 25 degrees Celsius (room temperature), 28-30 degrees Celsius (with heater)
    Ammonia (0 for tank 1, 0.25 for tank 2)
    Nitrites, nitrates: 0

Regards,
    Cheng
    Water changes - 50-75% weekly

8. OP
    OP
    c

Largest BP has ich on its fins when i checked today.
    Gave them first dose of metro cure and also aquarium salt (120ml) in the 60 gallon tank.

Not sure if the biggest BP will survive, he looks to be coming up for oxygen regularly.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You shouldn't have 0 nitrates in your tank, especially since you don't have plants. How are you testing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

What specifically are the tank mates? Saying "1 fish" and "2 fish" isn't helpful if we don't know the species. Unless they're all BPs?

Are you going to treat the ich as well?

10. OP
    OP
    c

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for your advice.
    Been 7 days since I started a 3 day, one dose/day metro + salt + heat treatment on my 2 BPs in the larger tank.

The 2 BPs are better now, just paid them a visit today. Will keep them under observation.

The other BP in tank 1 is still suffering from the white pimple.

Should I reside metro, salt and maintain heat treatment after doing a water change on Day 9?
    Or should I do the water change after Day 10(assuming the life cycle of the parasites, if any is 10 days)?

Attached Files:

11. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

They will need Metro for more than 3 days. If you zoom in you can see pits in their head. I see no signs of ICH. Salt may actually be aggravating the situation. In my opinion it looks bacteria.
    As stated above, unless the root of the cause is sorted out and fixed it's only going to keep happening. HTH is generally not something that can be treated in only 3 days and then "forgotten" about.
    Good luck.

12. OP
    OP
    c

An update from today.
    The underlying issue is that my largest BP is hanging out at the top of the tank (apparently to take in some oxygen). He hangs at the top for a minute and goes down and comes up probably every 3-5 minutes.

He has been having this symptom for at least a month, but I thought that it was linked to the HITH.
    He’s still not eating (tankmate is eating round sinking vegetable pellets and green peas).

Gave him salt bath (0.3%) and also dosed Ocean Free Internal Bacteria and Ulcer Away.
    Could I have given him incorrect medication for this symptom?

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    c

He was flicking his side (where his pectoral fin is) off the bottom of the tank and off the terracotta pot inside the tank.

14. OP
    OP
    c

Two close up photos of his skin condition showing some patches on his body.
    He’s had these for some time.

Attached Files:

15. OP
    OP
    c

One close up photo of his left gill filament.
    The bottom layer looks brown in colour.
    Could this be an indication?

Attached Files: