BP colour, not pretty, what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by bellachan, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bellachan

bellachanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey guys! I know the blood parrot section has been pretty quiet in the forum lately but hopefully you read this.

When I see other peoples BPs or even look them up online, they are a nice dark orange almost and it's a solid colour,....mine have an ugly color to be honest lol! Blotchy and different shades of orange and the scales are very visible (not in a pinecone way).

So I hope someone can tell me what's going on if there is something wrong.

Here are some pics (more blotchy in person)
    image.image.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good morning,

The coloring does appear to be a little odd, however, Bloody Parrots can change their coloring at will. A lot of times when the fish is ready to spawn, male and or female, they may change their coloring.

Look at my girl Lovely in the photo below. Normally she is a bright solid vibrant orange. She is in full spawning mode below:

Lovely.LovelyCropped.

As long as the eyes are clear, no visible signs of disease or parasites, having regular bowel movements, swimming upright, eating well, I wouldn't worry too much about the color changes at this time. Keep an eye on it though just in case. There are times when a fish is ill or becoming ill that their colors may also change.

The red on your fish, leads me to believe it may have been dyed at some point. (?) Was the fish orange when you purchased it?

Best wishes for your fish! Keep us posted.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    bellachan

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yes they were orange when I got them but in real bad shape, the one in the picture has a real bad mouth deformaty (mouth is more on one side and has like a triple chin going on) and the other (couldn't get a pic of him) almost looks like he has a permanant amonnia burn (if that's even possible). It has never left it's a big darker patch behind his head (was almost black when I got him now it's faded) i've had them almost a year now. That redness was just getting more and more visible the longer I had them. Do you think it's the temp? Its at 82? It could also be that I have real bad quality BPs I just couldn't leave them at the LFS.

I'll keep you guys posted, other then colour their behavior is just fine lol they will soon be getting tank mates if I see no further problem in my BPs or the other fish in the quarenten tank lol

4. aquatic1

aquatic1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    As long as their healthy I'm sure it's fine, like mentioned above, the colors do change. If anything, I think it looks pretty unique. So good of you to give them a nice home with love and care.

5. OP
    OP
    bellachan

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks I do my best to keep them happy and heathly you guys help me alot!

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello,

The black that you saw on the Bloody Parrot when you purchased it was normal. After the first two years of life, it will be rare that you ever see any more black blotches. It can come and go during the first 2 years. There is no need for treatment for this.

I keep my Bloody Parrots water temperature at 80 degrees. I don't see that 82 would really be an issue.

Mouth deformities are normal for this species. I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Will be looking forward to hearing more about your fish kids!

Ken