BP Cichlid QoL Questions

Keybladesage

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've inherited a Tank at work with a large BP Cichlid that I have fondly named Clementine. It's been a struggle but I finally have the water quality where it needs to be and my fish are safe, and now I'm at a stage of trying to make sure they are all happy as well and there are a handful of things I'm worried about.

First off, he has a tendency to turn white in a few spots every morning when I turn on the lights, but the spots tend to fade back to his usual vibrant orange. I'm concerned that after all the water changes I had to do and all the cleaning and arranging I've done to try and get the tank to a healthy place, he's grown scared of me. Is the fading normal? Could it be a sign of something else wrong?

He also tends to bully my other fish. He bumps into my common pleco a lot and it doesn't look like my pleco really cares all that much, but I'm concerned about how aggressive he is. He also will sometimes chase my Silver Dollar fish around the tank, but then the two of them will chill in a corner together like they are buddies so I don't think the silver dollar fish is afraid of him.

I also want to make sure he's getting enough nutrients. I've read that they need more protein than some other fish and right now we only have tropical flakes for them to eat. I'm wanting to get some Cichlid flakes, since he won't (or maybe can't with his mouth how it is) eat the cichlid carnivore pellets we've got.

One more thing I noticed just now is that his find on one side seem a little misshapen. Any idea what may have caused this? They don't look like they are damaged right now but maybe something else caused it and he's healed funny?

Thank you all so much for your help!

Attachments

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me, he looks happy and healthy.

Fading is normal at night, all fish do it. It's a way to advoid predators in the wild as well as simply not needing bright colours in the dark. While he is a captive bred hybrid, they still have their 'wild tendencies'.

How big is the pellets?

The silver dollar are shoaling fish, so depending on tank size and stocking I'd reccomend getting a couple more. If you don't like the silver dollar, consider rehoming it and getting some other fish (Columbian tetras, Buenos Aires tetra, congo tetra ect)

Parrots tend to be rather aggressive, but due to their mouth they can't do much damage. So the chasing is normal, and as long as no one is stressing out all the time I wouldn't worry.

OP
Keybladesage

Keybladesage

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aussieJJDude said:
To me, he looks happy and healthy.

Fading is normal at night, all fish do it. It's a way to advoid predators in the wild as well as simply not needing bright colours in the dark. While he is a captive bred hybrid, they still have their 'wild tendencies'.

How big is the pellets?

The silver dollar are shoaling fish, so depending on tank size and stocking I'd reccomend getting a couple more. If you don't like the silver dollar, consider rehoming it and getting some other fish (Columbian tetras, Buenos Aires tetra, congo tetra ect)

Parrots tend to be rather aggressive, but due to their mouth they can't do much damage. So the chasing is normal, and as long as no one is stressing out all the time I wouldn't worry.
Quick off topic on the Silver Dollar Fish, I want to get more, but I'm concerned the tank is too small for that. Getting a bigger tank is on the list, but since I work for a non profit, there is a whole process to go through before I can actually get one in. It bothers me daily that whoever set the tank up only got one.

As for the pellet size, they are Omega One 2mm sinking Cichlid Pellets, so tiny. We used to put in some of the Omega One floating Super Color which are about 4mm (The size isn't on the bottle) I'd watched the fish we had then grab em and spit em back out, so we went for the smaller ones, but they didn't seem to care much for them either.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I've got 2 blood parrots, and one has a more deformed mouth to the point that feeding him takes extra care. For my two, they personally prefer sinking pellets over flakes. I rotate them with fluval cichlid pellets, Omega one cichlid pellets, hikarI cichlid sinking gold, bug bites cichlid formula and broken up shrimp pellets, along with some frozen blood worms or krill or live earthworms every now and then. For my guy with the bad mouth, I found that if I stay around the 3mm sized foods he has an easier time eating it. Any bigger and it won't fit in his mouth, any smaller and he has no interest in it.

OP
Keybladesage

Keybladesage

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AngryRainbow said:
I've got 2 blood parrots, and one has a more deformed mouth to the point that feeding him takes extra care. For my two, they personally prefer sinking pellets over flakes. I rotate them with fluval cichlid pellets, Omega one cichlid pellets, hikarI cichlid sinking gold, bug bites cichlid formula and broken up shrimp pellets, along with some frozen blood worms or krill or live earthworms every now and then. For my guy with the bad mouth, I found that if I stay around the 3mm sized foods he has an easier time eating it. Any bigger and it won't fit in his mouth, any smaller and he has no interest in it.
Okay cool! I'll see about getting something sized between what I've got and see if he'll eat that. Do you think he'll be healthy with a verity of shelf stable foods? We don't have anywhere to store live or frozen food for him.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I think he should be fine. I personally started to include Boyd's vitachem with their food a few days a week for a boost of vitamins when the one with a deformed mouth was very undersized. He's since grown a bit, but has no where near caught up with my larger one. So that could be an option if you'd like to use it, but even if you don't I think your guy will be fine.

It doesn't look like he's got much growing left to do if any. So at this point it's just maintaining his health. Try starting him on a variety of shelf foods and keep an eye on his health, particularly his lateral line pits. I noticed the pits on my larger one's lateral line and head becoming more noticeable until I started them on the vitamins. But just monitor yours, everyone's going to have differing advice/opinions but I think as long as your guy is maintaining his health you're doing good.

New Threads