Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Boyfriend Ran Fish Tank Gear Through Dishwasher Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tsukkomu, May 23, 2019.

1. Tsukkomu Valued Member Member

Hey community -

So I did a rescape. And my boyfriend helped. Honestly couldn’t of done it as fast or as mess free as we did had he not helped. I truly appreciated his help.

But then he ran my Spec V tanks lid as well as my water topping up Tupperware through the dishwasher! He’s fish stupid. Haha.

What do I do?! Can I just rinse and rinse and rinse? I was thinking possibly of excessively rinsing with h2o and then wiping out with vinegar and repeating the clean water process. Followed by a dechlorinated water dip? Help me out here, I’m paranoid. Lol.

He was only trying to be helpful. I didn’t catch it in time because I was so busy with the tank while he was in the kitchen ‘cleaning up.’

Thanks everyone!

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

I have heard of people running all kinds of things threw the dishwasher. Filter housings mostly. No fear. If its safe to eat off of or drink from after its fish safe.

3. Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

My water-changing pitchers got washed with regular kitchen dishes recently. (My fault. I had left them in the kitchen counter.) I wiped everything down with vinegar (being slightly paranoid myself) and rinsed well, let them dry, went back to using them with no ill effects whatsoever.

4. Iboughtmykidfish Well Known Member Member

I've been known to run some fishy things through my dishwasher.. Just rinse well to make sure there's no residue and you should be fine. If you're really concerned, run it through again with no soap.

5. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I would just rinse them off in warm water until any soapy smell comes out. I wash Tupperware o use with tanks all the time. Primarily because I also use it for food. Never had an issue, just rinse it out a bit and you’ll be good!

6. DIYhack Valued Member Member

You will be ok.

I once came home to my housekeeper heavy windexing the glass on my 110. My face was so twisted she stopped instantly.

7. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Ah yeah it happens, like others said, you’ll be fine, just rinse, rinse, vinegar maybe, rinse, rinse. Very helpful boyfriend, that’s great...time to school him on fishies:)

8. Noroomforshoe Valued Member Member

I use cups and glasses and tupperwere from the dishwasher for varios things in my take fairly often. you should be fine, but Im glad you checked!

9. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

The outside? I’m trying to see what’s wrong with this statement but I cant lol!

10. DIYhack Valued Member Member

Kinda all over and the top rim. It was my reef tank with like 2grand of frags. She never touched it again.

I do use it once in awhile but I spray it on a rag and keep it low on the glass.

11. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

If the dish washer has a spot free rinse agent I would not be assuming that since we eat off it is safe ..
    I would soak them in tap water [chlorine doesn't matter] changing the water out a couple times ..
    As far as detergent I would not be so concerned with plastic or Tupperware but I have heard people washing terra cotta stuff having issues...