Boy Or Girl?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pretty sure that's a female.

Most females are pretty dull compared to males, and don't have a ton of color on their body.

shell13m

Reaction score
I hope that's right. I originally had it in with the females but then the bright color tail and narrow body had me second guessing myself. I accidentally bought a pregnant female so I'm anxious to keep the fry separated properly. I'm already overpopulated.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep it in a breeder net by itself for a few weeks and see how it looks every week until you can decide male or female. I had to do this with one that turned out to be male (he wasn't a pretty color and i was separating males and females), he managed to coexist with a betta without being murdered or harassing her until he got moved after revealing himself to be male.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just give it some time and see if the analfin will turn into a gonopodium or not. And don't pay attention to the dull colors. For that's really no indication for a female. There are lots of males which are dull colored as well.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even with guppies there are initial males which develop the male characteristics pretty late. Some are even actual male but won't develop the gonopodium. At this very moment I even have an actual male but still has a V-shaped analfin. Never appeared a gravid spot either. And he's already about 2 inches long. He's already 14 months old. It's not a late bloomer either. This specimen I've got won't develop the gonopodium anymore. So, he's not suitable to breed with. This happens with more ovoviviparous livebearers.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Even with guppies there are initial males which develop the male characteristics pretty late. Some are even actual male but won't develop the gonopodium. At this very moment I even have an actual male but still has a V-shaped analfin. Never appeared a gravid spot either. And he's already about 2 inches long. He's already 14 months old. It's not a late bloomer either. This specimen I've got won't develop the gonopodium anymore. So, he's not suitable to breed with. This happens with more ovoviviparous livebearers.
Wow, I take back my comment. I seriously learn something new everyday lol!

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, no worries...
I truly believe that most people are not aware of this. But those who are really serious interested in the matter of livebearers (ovoviviparous, viviparous and even superfetative) know this.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Oh, no worries...
I truly believe that most people are not aware of this. But those who are really serious interested in the matter of livebearers (ovoviviparous, viviparous and even superfetative) know this.
I mean, I'm seriously, truly interested in live bearers and I didn't know that... I'm still learning lol.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StormTrooper said:
I mean, I'm seriously, truly interested in live bearers and I didn't know that... I'm still learning lol.
Oh, I didn't meant to offend you by all means...
But by "really serious interested", I meant those who have been keeping themselves already busy with the science behind the scenes. I've been keeping myself already busy with livebearers (aquaristics in general) ever since the early 1970's as being a young boy. Never stopped keeping, breeding and learning about them. I've visited specific endemic spots to observe fish like these in their natural habitats. Love genetics, anatomy and other issues related to livebearers all these years. But even someone like me has also still a lot to learn... So, you're not the only one who's still learning. Eventhough, someone might be well experienced, there's still so much outthere to learn... So, also I'm still learning...

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Oh, I didn't meant to offend you by all means...
But by "really serious interested", I meant those who have been keeping themselves already busy with the science behind the scenes. I've been keeping myself already busy with livebearers (aquaristics in general) ever since the early 1970's as being a young boy. Never stopped keeping, breeding and learning about them. I've visited specific endemic spots to observe fish like these in their natural habitats. Love genetics, anatomy and other issues related to livebearers all these years. But even someone like me has also still a lot to learn... So, you're not the only one who's still learning. Eventhough, someone might be well experienced, there's still so much outthere to learn... So, also I'm still learning...
I freaking strive to be someone like you. People like you help me stay interested, and now all I wanna do is keep, breed, and learn more about fish everyday. And forreal, thank you for that! I wish I would've began fish keeping a lot sooner.

Edit: In no way did you offend me, I'm sorry if I seemed offended! You're definitely the kind of person I look up to!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom