BoxFish

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if any of you have actually seen these fish in real life, my local fisheries has salt water and tropical and there's one of these little guys on their own I think
there amazing lookin an kinda freaky...I hope you will appreciate how beautiful it is

I realise this should be in salt water topic...my mistake

28.jpg

clear.gif

Yellow boxfish
Ostracion cubicus

FAMILY

Ostraciidae

TAXONOMY

Ostracion cubicus Linnaeus, 1758, India.

OTHER COMMON NAMES

French: Poisson cube; German: Gelbbrauner Kofferfisch; Afrikaans: Koffertije; Japanese: Minami-hakofugu.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Boxlike body with bony plates, a steeply sloping forehead, a subterminal mouth, a thick caudal peduncle, and a relatively large, somewhat rounded caudal fin. The dorsal and analfins are positioned well back, just forward of the caudal peduncle. Body color of adults is a dirty yellow with a blueish hue and yellow seams between the body's bony plates. Juveniles are an attractive bright yellow with small black spots. There are eight or nine soft rays in the dorsal fin, nine soft rays in the analfin, and 10 caudal fin rays. Total length up to 11 in (28 cm).

DISTRIBUTION

Tropical and subtropical waters of the Indo-Pacific and southeastern Atlantic, from East Africa and the Red Sea east to the Hawaiian Islands and the Tuamotu Archipelago in Polynesia, north to the Ryukyu Islands of southern Japan, south to Australia and Lord Howe Island, and off southern Africa in the Atlantic.

HABITAT

Primarily coral reefs in lagoons, on reef flats, and on protected seaward reefs. Juveniles associate with Acropora corals. Depth range is 3.3–148 ft (1–45 m).

BEHAVIOR

Adults are solitary and territorial. Juveniles also are solitary after settlement. Secretes ostracitoxin as a defensive mechanism when attacked or disturbed.

FEEDING ECOLOGY AND DIET

Omnivorous. Feeds upon benthic algae, various microorganisms, and foraminiferans that it strains from sediments, sponges, polychaete worms from sand flats, mollusks, small crustaceans, and small fishes. Large larvae and post-larvae often taken by pelagic predators, such as tunas.

REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGY

Paired courtship just before or after sunset. Eggs and larvae are pelagic.

CONSERVATION STATUS

Not listed by the IUCN.

SIGNIFICANCE TO HUMANS

Collected for the aquarium trade but, due to its ability to secrete ostracitoxin, usually is a poor choice for a community aquarium.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOLOLOL!!! ;D ;D ;D Never saw a "SQUARE" fish before! This is so cool! HAHA I LOVE this fish!

Tamara

Reaction score
that fish is absolutly gorgeous...I love it!!
I wish I could have it, saltwater fish I find have some much more bright colors!
but I decided to go with freshwater...less complicated and I only ahve a 10 gallon.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their really cool. Did you know Mercedes-Benz is studying the boxfish and making a proto type car based on their findings.

Carol

FishFyer

Reaction score
Ya I watched something on that car (maybe on Daily PLanet) but ya it said that the car is really areodynamic?? that's weird but it also said that that kind of fish could swim very fast if it wanted to but I guess its to lazy... that's good for a tank. lol

New Threads