Bowfront Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Isabella, Apr 24, 2006.

1. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Do bowfront (glass) tanks distort the view? (When compared to a regular rectangular glass tank.)

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I think they do.

3. sliderNew MemberMember

My 22g is bowed, doesn't distort the view

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

No, they shouldn't. The glass is tempered and only 1/4" thick. The radius is very gradual. There should be minimal distortion if any at all.

5. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Even in huge, say 125-200 gallon bowfront tanks, the glass is only 1/4" think? I would find that hard to believe! (But then again, I know nothing about bowfront tanks.) And what about tanks around 55-75 gallons?

So basically, one should not be able to see any distortion in a bowfront tank, right?

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

In some of the larger tanks it's probably 3/8" thick. When you temper glass it becomes stronger. Even when you see stores in a shopping mall with curved glass entrances that stand 12 feet tall, that glass is only 1/2" thick.

I would think that the larger tanks are a little thicker simply because of the pressure placed on the glass by the water. Then again, the upper and lower frames take some of the stress off of the glass itself.

7. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

OK, thank you.

8. vinWell Known MemberMember

De nada.... ;D

9. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Personally I don't like the bowfront tanks because I think it makes the viewer look at the tank itself and not the inhabitants and plants as much. Just my opinion.

Austin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice