Bought two new angelfish

Wolfgang8810
I bought two new angelfish in the past day or so and they are just hiding behind plant or under decorations. is this normal? They are in a 50 gallon tank that has been completely cycled and also has 8 cardinal tetras 6 corys and a pleco. am I over reacting? they should be out in the middle in a few days right?

Peterpiper
New fish can take some time to settle, are they eating?

Wolfgang8810
not so far. but its been about 24hours since I got them. Ill wait a few more days before I start freaking out.

Peterpiper
Have you tried a little live food, You could try this if their still not eating tomorrow

Dino
Give them time to settle in.
Reduce traffic in the area around the tank if you can.
Keep the lights off on the tank.
If they have not eatten flake in the next day or so, as suggested, try some frozen food.

Wolfgang8810
hmm that's tough with the traffic it is right nest to my bedroom door. maybe ill use the other one. WAIT! they are both in the open RIGHT NOW! playing in my tall plants. Things are going the right way. Ill set my timer to leave the lights off tomorrow until I get home from school then ill throw some of the frozen hakarI blood worms in and see what they do. I have 8 Cardinal tetras and 6 cory cats which put together are quite the boisterous swimmers. I hope thay aren't freaking my angels out.

I noticed that one of my angels has a bent ventral fin. Is it normal for them to be bent sometimes? will it fix itself? If not oh well my angel has character.

Dino
Generally, it will not fix itself.
That is usually caused by overcrowding ( poor water quality) when the fish are younger.

Wolfgang8810
it is still young. about the size of a silver dollar. My water is excellent. Is it something to worry about or will it affect the angels life?

Dino
Na, it will be ok.
I am sure it was from before you purchased your fish.
I see a lot of that in the farm produced angels and even some of the poorer quality breeders.

Wolfgang8810
yea but he is defiantly the more adventurous of the two. hes out in the open water column. Ill have to think if a fun name for him like Tiny TI'm lol.

I fed them some frozen blood worms today and diddnt notice eithrt of tem going out of their way to grab some. but they are starting to get aclimated to the whole setup. My bolivian rams on the other hand (I got the rams and angels at the same time) are doing fine. they stay at mid to lower tank level but they ate all theI r food like good little boys and girls.

there still hiding but I got some pictures(no flash ofcourse)

COBettaCouple
I noticed that it took our angel Fred a little while to not just get used to the tank, but to me and as he got more used to me, he'd be more enthusiastic about his food to the point that now, he'll come swimming up to the surface with his little mouth going, ready for food. ;D

Dino
Glad to see that they have great places to hide.

Give them time and they will be begging for food from your hands.

Wolfgang8810
the black and white one diddnt make it. I think he got stuck in the fake plant the gold one is still hiding but it ate a little bit today.

COBettaCouple
:'( that's too bad, we're sorry that you lost him. i'd watch the other fish, but it may have been some internal problem. it's not uncommon to lose young angels sometimes when you first get them.

Wolfgang8810
rthere poop was really long and Clear does taht mean anything? the gold one is still hiding and still has thet clear poo

Dino
Clear poo generally means digestive problems.
What type of flake are you feeding?

If you could get some veggie flake, that might be helpful.

Wolfgang8810
ive been trying to feed him everything. frozen bloodworm, flakes, freeze dried bloodworm, granules but he won't tank anything and is just staying by the heater where the black and white one was before he passed.

well today was black friaday and there was a 99 cent sale on angels so I got a bigger one . here it is.

well I found the gold one stuck to the filter tonight so if this last larger one dosent make it I'm not buying anymore! I got 7 more cardinal tetras also which brings me up to 15 so if anyting they are more sensitive than angels right?

COBettaCouple
the clear poop could indicate internal parasites. how is the new angel doing? we're sorry that you lost the gold one too. :'(

Wolfgang8810
o spent atleast 4 housr acclimating him along with 7 more cardinal tetras and he never wne an hid. Ever since I released him into his new home hes been out in the middle. he even ate a little bit of bloodworms that I had fed my tetras earlier in the day that were stuck on a plant. He is considerably bigger than the others ive had so I'm hoping the parasites skipped his generation. The store where I got him has a 15 day guarantee and if it makes it past 5 he will be the longest survivor so far.

what could I be doing wrong? I have hard water at my house and most stores have neutral or softer water. I let them float in the bag for 15 mins then add some of my tank water then let them sit some 10 mins more more then add some more of my water then let them sid 10 more mins the let the go? should I wait longer? or am I jsut going through a bad luck streak? I was late for a doctors appt and only waited 10 mins then added water the waithed 8 mins before I put my rams in my 10 gallon and they are looking superb and happy too.

COBettaCouple
when we got fred, we also got 3 smaller gold angels. All 3 died within a day, not even time to try to treat them and i'm not sure why they died, even now. All the cichlids (the 4 angels & 5 julies) that went in that cycled, clean tank were acclimated the same and fed the same, but those 3 died and the others were all happy.

Do you have other options for buying Angels other than that store, if you got all 3 at the same store?

Wolfgang8810
I have had 5 now and they are form all different stores 2 of the stores were petland but the sole surviving angel htat ive had for a day now I got form petco. He ate bloodworms this morning and come right to the ffront to greet me. I think/hope he makes it.

COBettaCouple
yea, that's a good sign. It took Fred a few days to come up to the front of the tank for food.

Wolfgang8810
this one ate within 5 mins of being released form the store bag.

Jimold
what could I be doing wrong? I have hard water at my house and most stores have neutral or softer water. I let them float in the bag for 15 mins then add some of my tank water then let them sit some 10 mins more more then add some more of my water then let them sid 10 more mins the let the go? should I wait longer? or am I jsut going through a bad luck streak? I was late for a doctors appt and only waited 10 mins then added water the waithed 8 mins before I put my rams in my 10 gallon and they are looking superb and happy too.

Actually, it could be something as stupid as a bad luck streak. Your tank tests out OK? And it's cycled properly? Then it could be the angels themselves. When I foirst bought mine, I had a good half dozen, and some I bought just died for no apparent reason. I never really found out, but because the others lived, I figured it couldn't be the tank. After talking to the owner of a LFS my final conclusion is the angels were weak to begin with. Unfortunately, sometimes when they come into a store, they have the beat out of them. It's nothing the store owners can do, it's how they get them. And then it's a game of survival of the fittest, the tough ones make it, the weak ones die. What he told me is it's best to wait a day or 2 after they arrive to see which ones are still swimming, then buy them. And even still, some might not survive the ride home. You have to figure, this is pretty tramatic for a fish. So if a few don't make it right off the bat, but others are doing well, then don't blame yourself. If you've ruled out everything else, then it's probably the fish themselves.
Try getting a couple more, maybe from a different store. And one thing I do is always look for the fighters when the store clerk trys to net you one. If the clerk puts a net in that tank and the fish doesn't dart to the other side... DON'T BUY IT!! If it just sort of sits there, again... DON'T BUY IT!! You want the fish that gives the clerk the hardest time. That one is a survivor. Also look at the store tanks themselves.. if their nasty, or the fish look bad, go to another store.

Wolfgang8810
my tank has been properly cycled my nitrAtes were at about 20 maybe a little more but definitely less than 40. other than that they were small and wouldnt eat.

Kevin
hopefully the new guy will be fine...sounds like he really likes your tank...good luck!

Wolfgang8810
I think hes doing great. althought when he swims hes normally at an angle / slanted one of his pectoral fins is shorter too but I think that's just him. He is the ambassador of my tank when I wake up and walk up to it he darts out of hiding to greet me

COBettaCouple
sounds great - do you have any pics of him? ;D

Wolfgang8810
I have an ok one but ill have betters ones soon here is him now.

COBettaCouple
he's a beautiful young marble! ;D

Wolfgang8810
looks like he has come koi in him too with the yellow head and all.

COBettaCouple
you're right. I'd missed that spot of Koi in him.

looks like he has come koi in him too with the yellow head and all.

Wolfgang8810
hes being a scaredy cat today I think the pleco is getting too big. hes about 5 inches and keeps skyrocketing to the surface actually getting out of the water a little bit.
I think its freaking out everyone else

Dino
The quality of angels coming from most farms is no where near what you will find with a quality breeder. If you can find one local, I would highly suggest going that way.

We should have angels ready to ship by next shipping season.

COBettaCouple
great! about how big would they be? we'd like to get a female for our male angel - is it true that we need to get one that's about the same size?

Wolfgang8810
well demon diddnt make it after a week. I swear I'm having the worst luck! the store I bought him at has a 15 day replacment guarantee. and they get another shipment on tuesday so ill be picking another one out free of charge.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GpixL
Top Bottom