Bought two female guppies a week ago...

LisaMarie517

Reactions
And they were both pregnant! One dropped her fry night before last. I looked and looked and could only find one surviving fry (I have other fish including two piggy gouramis that act like dogs when it comes to food). I'm hoping there are other fry and they are just hiding - my tank has a black background and it makes it hard to see the bigger fish sometimes let alone tiny newborn fry.
I just did a partial water change and gravel cleaning so my water is kind of mucky right now. My other concern is that the fry got sucked up into the filtration system (I have a Marineland Portrait tank) and are stuck in the filter compartment behind the tank. I've read that others have had this happen and the fish survived, they found them while doing maintenance.
My other guppy looks like she's not too far behind. I've read so many articles online about using a breeder box vs. not using a breeder box. I chose not to use one.
My tank is only 5 gallon and I'd have to get pretty crafty if I wanted to use a breeder box. The second guppy doesn't seem as hardy so I don't want to move her to another tank just to give birth, but I might if the darn gouramis don't let up. I thought she was going into labor last night - she was swimming erratically and her body seemed to seize up.
The blue gourami seemed really concerned and kept following her around and sitting with her while she was hiding - it was kind of cute. I woke up this morning expecting to see a much thinner guppy and she's still holding on. Prob a few more days now. I'm hoping to catch this birth live! Wish me luck!

Attachments

emeraldking

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
It may take a while when I look at both females before any other fry will show up. But congrats on the one you´ve found... :)

Gone

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually stay off the stocking police bandwagon, but did I read that correctly that you have two gouramis, two guppies, and other fish in a 5G? I really think you should get a much bigger tank.

The gouramis will eat the fry. The adult guppies might eat the fry. It's not likely any of them will survive.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom