Question Bought these as supposedly Leopoldi Angelfish

JeffreyN

Reaction score
HI I am new to the forum

Bought these 6 months ago special order $35 each hoping I would get the "5cm" teardrop/LeopoldI angelfish but they came larger and have nearly
IMG_20200317_093640_MP.jpg
doubled in size since I got them

Can anyone help tell me if they are LeopoldI or just regular angelfish

if they are LeopoldI how big do they really get?

Thanks

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
When I picked them up they said they were wild, I don't know what they meant by that does that mean they are closer to the wild angels and have not been interbred or farm raised? I got them here in Canada at Petland

This is about how tall they are maybe 4.5 inches TL idk I can't measure them just guessing whenever I try to get close to the tank with a measuring tape they freak out lol
The tank is 2 feet tall
Thanks for the help :)

IMG_20200317_150416_1_MP~2.jpg

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I could be mistaken since wild for betta is actually a breed thing; for angel it normally means the fish was caught in the wild as oppose to tank raised. Most scalar are tank raised (eggs are hatched in captivity). Wild angels tend to be a lot more picky about water condition; might be more picky about food and from what i've read (no first hand experience) are more likely to carry parasites though you could check with the seller if they were checked/treated for parasites.

JeffreyN said:
When I picked them up they said they were wild, I don't know what they meant by that does that mean they are closer to the wild angels and have not been interbred or farm raised? I got them here in Canada at Petland

This is about how tall they are maybe 4.5 inches TL idk I can't measure them just guessing whenever I try to get close to the tank with a measuring tape they freak out lol
The tank is 2 feet tall

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The just look like silver angels (about the age of a young adult).

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
jake37 said:
I could be mistaken since wild for betta is actually a breed thing; for angel it normally means the fish was caught in the wild as oppose to tank raised. Most scalar are tank raised (eggs are hatched in captivity). Wild angels tend to be a lot more picky about water condition; might be more picky about food and from what i've read (no first hand experience) are more likely to carry parasites though you could check with the seller if they were checked/treated for parasites.
I was using R/O water and keeping it soft and driftwood cause it said online LeopoldI like soft water and a lower Ph

They are a lot more shy than other angels I have seen and get scared more easy

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ALL angels like water like that

They are supposedly the most aggressive angels so they are probably just regular silver strain angels. bizaliz3

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:

They are supposedly the most aggressive angels so they are probably just regular silver strain angels. bizaliz3
Thank you I guess I got just some regular angels.. they are all great though

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JeffreyN said:
Thank you I guess I got just some regular angels.. they are all great though
That's too bad. Angels are nice fish though.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Pterophyllum leopoldI - Wikipedia

LeopoldI have a 4th full stripe and the dorsal fin has more of a slant up that is longer leading into the dorsal fin.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JeffreyN said:

The tank is 2 feet tall

If they are wild, I don't doubt it. They look like a wild strain, from my terrible color ID'ing eyes it could be mancaperu? Regular silvers don't go for 35 bucks a pop. More like 3 bucks.
Amazoniantanklvr said:

Honestly, from going on other forums and listening to others, I've seen a trend that they aren't very aggressive like said so but normal cichlid agressions. Doesn't mean the stereotype is inaccurate though

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
If they are wild, I don't doubt it. They look like a wild strain, from my terrible color ID'ing eyes it could be mancaperu? Regular silvers don't go for 35 bucks a pop. More like 3 bucks.
I was saying that the op was ripper off but idk.
FinalFins said:
Honestly, from going on other forums and listening to others, I've seen a trend that they aren't very aggressive like said so but normal cichlid agressions. Doesn't mean the stereotype is inaccurate though
Good to know

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
FinalFins said:

Yes possibly.. they were very aggressive at first but nothing where one got hurt. They swim together now and cuddle so I think it's a male/female pair but no signs of breeding is this a wild angel thing?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JeffreyN said:
Yes possibly.. they were very aggressive at first but nothing where one got hurt. They swim together now and cuddle so I think it's a male/female pair but no signs of breeding is this a wild angel thing?
All angels have different personalities from what i've seen, don't think it's a wild angel thing.

Could you describe the cuddling? I get the swimming together part but I am totally unsure on mated angel behavior (don't have experience with them), they could be a mated pair but that's just a guess...

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
Like hanging out not swimming right next to eachother lol

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Compatibility is different than pairing. bizaliz3 and angelcraze know what a pair forming is like.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JeffreyN said:
Like hanging out not swimming right next to eachother lol
Ok, be aware here, I have little to none experience with scalare angels, only time I've had them is when I was a small child. So the following advice can be taken with a grain of salt.

Hanging next to eachother could be a sign of being social, because angels are normally found in groups in the wild so my guess is either pairing or they have formed a connection because they were shipped together and bought together and are just being social like any normal angelfish. Kinda like cories.

OP
JeffreyN

JeffreyN

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Ok, be aware here, I have little to none experience with scalare angels, only time I've had them is when I was a small child. So the following advice can be taken with a grain of salt.

Hanging next to eachother could be a sign of being social, because angels are normally found in groups in the wild so my guess is either pairing or they have formed a connection because they were shipped together and bought together and are just being social like any normal angelfish. Kinda like cories.
Thanks this is my first time keeping angels I've always had tanks though with other tropical fish

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
Correct, sort of

It really depends on the fish. Two males might be completely fine with each other (mine are fine) but two other males might fight to death. Just putting the in the same bag doesn't meant that they are compatible. In the wild angels live in HUGE sholas so just having two a risk aa the dominate one can only pick on one other angel. If they were in a shoal the dominate one would pick on many different angels. I know you already knew that but I thought I saw that.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom