Bought Some Plants, But What Are They?

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
Jack cook said:
I would disagree. It could of course be a different variation, but I have hornwort and none of these pictures are it. here are 2 pictures of mine. It grows like a weed. Hornwort never grows roots of any kind.

Number 5 is 110% Ludwig. I have some in my tank. Here's a pic. Mine is broadleaf, yours is probably a different variation.

As for the plants I don't have, #1 looks like it could be water sprite?
Your hornwort is what I wish my hornwort (?) looks like lol! I wonder what the **** it is that I have, then. Maybe that's why I've always thought it looked unhealthy and dying, compared to real hornwort. See 6., especially.

I'm still torn on 5. Seems like hygro vs. ludwig comes up a lot in IDing lol!

DuaneV said:
#5 is ludwigia for sure. Which variation, I don't know. Your java fern and anubias should NOT be planted. Those plants store nutrients in their rhizomes and if buried they'll rot and die.
Oh god what have I done! I'll go liberate them now. Thanks!
 

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,107
Reaction score
5,991
Points
603
Experience
Just started
As long as the rhizomes are above the substrate, you can bury the roots.
There are lots of varieties of hygrophila, and a few ludwigia, possibly compare to the following:
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia grandulosa
Hygrophila salicifolia
Hygrophila costata
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
AngelTheGypsy said:
As long as the rhizomes are above the substrate, you can bury the roots.
There are lots of varieties of hygrophila, and a few ludwigia, possibly compare to the following:
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia grandulosa
Hygrophila salicifolia
Hygrophila costata
Oh god 4. looks a LOT like Ludwigia glandulosa the more I look at it. Including the white bristles (roots?) coming out of the stem at each segment.

Jack cook said:
#2&#7 egaria? Maybe #8 as well?
#3&#6 look like Pogostemon erectus/Rotala verticillaris. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
Nice find! That seems a lot closer than hornwort, but why the **** does mine still look so... sickly lol!
 

badaza

Valued Member
Messages
85
Reaction score
41
Points
63
Experience
Just started
By the way: egeria = anachris. It's just another name for the same plant.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
badaza said:
By the way: egeria = anachris. It's just another name for the same plant.
Thanks for clearing that up!
 

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,107
Reaction score
5,991
Points
603
Experience
Just started
yom said:
Oh god 4. looks a LOT like Ludwigia glandulosa the more I look at it. Including the white bristles (roots?) coming out of the stem at each segment.



Nice find! That seems a lot closer than hornwort, but why the does mine still look so... sickly lol!
It may just be adjusting to your tank. But I think rotala have higher needs. I'm not sure though.
 

Catfish12345

Valued Member
Messages
471
Reaction score
110
Points
63
Experience
5 years
I think some of the plants are in the genus Myriophyllum. Not sure though. I am positive i've seen those plants in my local lake before. None of them are anacharis or hornworts, im sure.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
AngelTheGypsy said:
It may just be adjusting to your tank. But I think rotala have higher needs. I'm not sure though.
According to Aquarium Note, plants 1. to 7. went in on the 27th of May, which was 20 days ago. I've unearthed a couple of the Pogostemon erectus / Rotala verticillaris, and there doesn't seem to be any root growth. They're currently floating under the light. should I cut some of the bottom off and give it another planting? Or just replant them as is?

You've been a great help, so I don't want to impose, but I have another question: I read somewhere that it helps the plant establish if you let them float around under the light for a bit. Have you come across this?

Catfish12345 said:
I think some of the plants are in the genus Myriophyllum. Not sure though. I am positive i've seen those plants in my local lake before. None of them are anacharis or hornworts, im sure.
Some of them are definitely Myriophyllum sp., Guyana to be exact. ranDMC spotted them in the background of 1. lol!

I'd love to figure out what 2. and 7. are, because I love the look of them and would love to propagate them properly.

And whatever the not-hornwort is, they're doing poorly. I want to identify them to find their optimal parameters. Hate seeing them slowly die!
 

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,107
Reaction score
5,991
Points
603
Experience
Just started
I have had success floating stem plants until roots start then planting them again.
Jocelyn Adelman can you id these unknown plants in photos 2&7 in the op? Nada Mucho says you know everything, and I tend to agree. I believe my knowledge has been exhausted on this one, as I have no clue on those plants.
 

ranDMC

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Points
1
yom said:
I read somewhere that it helps the plant establish if you let them float around under the light for a bit. Have you come across this?
Is this lore or data? I've read this too...
 

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,107
Reaction score
5,991
Points
603
Experience
Just started
I don't know why it helps, but it seems if I plant stems without roots, they tend to rot. If I float them until they have roots, they seem to do better (but still the stem sometimes rots. I think I just don't know how deep to plant them)
 

Nada Mucho

Well Known Member
Messages
997
Reaction score
763
Points
133
Experience
Just started
I haven't floated plants yet but I might try it. Currently I snip at a .45 degree angle just below a node and plant them as deep as I can to anchor. Roots should form from the nodes so if I can get 2 or three under the substrate (depending on the plant) my chances seem to go up.

Hmm. You know I've done a LOT of indoor hydro gardening and when I'm taking clones I always use rooting hormone. I wonder if there is a product like that which is safe for aquariums and fish. Hmm now I have to go look...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
ranDMC AngelTheGypsy Nada Mucho

What would you guys suggest in this situation? The root is looking a bit manky and some of the foliage is a little fuzzy?! Uh oh!
c3594b56c08edf6b118ae74238584671.jpg

6f91cb2095dca88940c8d37c285eacd1.jpg
 

Nada Mucho

Well Known Member
Messages
997
Reaction score
763
Points
133
Experience
Just started
If the stem isn't squishy I'd use it. If it is then cut off the squish (45°) and plant that sucker.
 

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
1,683
Points
158
You dont have hornwort, none of those pics are hornwort. Anubias and Java Fern can be planted as long as the rhizome is exposed. You do have Ludwigia, probably Repens. As for your other plants, I dont know.
EDIT: Now that I see it again I am not as sure. Could you take a better picture from 5? From above?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
ranDMC said:
Is this lore or data? I've read this too...
I'm going to give it a shot, nothin' to lose!

AngelTheGypsy said:
I don't know why it helps, but it seems if I plant stems without roots, they tend to rot. If I float them until they have roots, they seem to do better (but still the stem sometimes rots. I think I just don't know how deep to plant them)
I'd love to know how deep to plant as well. That browned stem was planted about 1.5".

Nada Mucho said:
I haven't floated plants yet but I might try it. Currently I snip at a .45 degree angle just below a node and plant them as deep as I can to anchor. Roots should form from the nodes so if I can get 2 or three under the substrate (depending on the plant) my chances seem to go up.

Hmm. You know I've done a LOT of indoor hydro gardening and when I'm taking clones I always use rooting hormone. I wonder if there is a product like that which is safe for aquariums and fish. Hmm now I have to go look...
Funny you say 2 or 3 nodes, as I think that's how far I tried lol!

Never thought of rooting hormone in this context. Wouldn't it be fine to apply the hormone, allow roots to grow in some temporary substrate, wash the hormone off, and plant in tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
BeanFish said:
You dont have hornwort, none of those pics are hornwort. Anubias and Java Fern can be planted as long as the rhizome is exposed. You do have Ludwigia, probably Repens. As for your other plants, I dont know.
EDIT: Now that I see it again I am not as sure. Could you take a better picture from 5? From above?
9ce3dce51fe733a914e1bca32552c69a.jpg

Is this a better angle? Weird thing is, this plant seems to be doing the best out of the whole tank!
 

Attachments

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
1,683
Points
158
Yes that is a better angle, I wanted to see the leafs.
I am not sure it is Ludwigia Repens now. Ludwigia Repens has more circular leafs. Here is mine:

Altough it can be Ludwigia Repens, but just another variation. To be frankly honest it is not easy to ID some Ludwigias because they hibridize and you get a bunch of different plants which are still called Ludwigia Repens. I personally would think it is another Ludwigia but when you look online for "Ludwigia Repens" you will see some plants which have more pointy and elongated leafs still being called Ludwigia Repens.
Geez, I said Ludwigia Repens too much LOL.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

yom

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
39
Points
38
Experience
2 years
BeanFish said:
Yes that is a better angle, I wanted to see the leafs.
I am not sure it is Ludwigia Repens now. Ludwigia Repens has more circular leafs. Here is mine:

Altough it can be Ludwigia Repens, but just another variation. To be frankly honest it is not easy to ID some Ludwigias because they hibridize and you get a bunch of different plants which are still called Ludwigia Repens. I personally would think it is another Ludwigia but when you look online for "Ludwigia Repens" you will see some plants which have more pointy and elongated leafs still being called Ludwigia Repens.
Geez, I said Ludwigia Repens too much LOL.
If they can hybridize, then I guess we can assume that they have the same preference in ideal water parameters and propagation then, right? If so, that's the most important thing to me, as I just want a healthy happy tank haha

Ludwigia Repens! Say it enough and it sounds like a spell.

BeanFish said:
You dont have hornwort, none of those pics are hornwort.
Then are you on board with the Pogostemon erectus / Rotala verticillaris suggestion?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom