Bought some Albinos today

skipplet

Reaction score
I bought 5 Albino Corys today. It seems as though all of their fins have been chewed on a bit. When I tested the store water in the bag the nitrates were ridiculously high like 200 ppm high (I've never seen the test so pink). I don't remember what other fish were in the tank at the store. Is this a case of fin nipping or fin rot? And how long will it take for them to grow back their fins? Additionally, I have 6 black neons in the tank as well. If it is fin rot, are they in danger of contracting it as well?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a quarantine tank, I wouldn't put them in your tank. In fact I would bring them back to the store. I can understand wanting to save them but why risk the health of the other fish in your tank. Even if it's not fin rot there is a good chance that if they have nipped fins due to being in a tank with aggressive fish, then they are probably very stressed out and won't last long anyway. That plus the high nitrates causes stress as well, plus counts that high can actually lead to suffocation and brain damage in the fish.

If you want to give it a go anyway and try to save them, then take a good look at the fins. If it's just nipped fins then they will grow back over time, but you should keep an eye of them to see if they sit on the bottom of the tank all the time or have no interest in food after a few days (first day or two they might not eat due to stress). If that is the case and the fins appear to be torn or have white tips, then it very possibly could be fin rot. If you can post some photos then it will help us be certain. Here are some . If it seems to be anything like that then it will need to be treated. If you don't have a quarantine tank then it will have to be treated in your tank with the neons. Remove any carbon you have in your filter and treat with something like . Good Luck!

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
skipplet said:
I bought 5 Albino Corys today. It seems as though all of their fins have been chewed on a bit. When I tested the store water in the bag the nitrates were ridiculously high like 200 ppm high (I've never seen the test so pink). I don't remember what other fish were in the tank at the store. Is this a case of fin nipping or fin rot? And how long will it take for them to grow back their fins? Additionally, I have 6 black neons in the tank as well. If it is fin rot, are they in danger of contracting it as well?
hmmm, take caution... although the bandit cory's i bought the other day had all had their fins nipped, with no signs of infection... they all turned out to be fine thou, and their fins have grown back already!

skipplet

Reaction score
I'd upload a picture, but I could get any ones clear enough to show the fins.

One fish did lay on the bottom initially, but after about 10 minutes he started swimming around. Now they're all very active, swimming around the tank, sucking on the decorations, and occasionally swimming to the surface (much like everyone has described corys doing).

The store has a 3 day guarantee (I know, not much). Do you think any of the super stressed fish will die within that time or will it take longer? I have a quarantine tank, but the heater I ordered hasn't come in yet, so I can't use it :\

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well that is a BIG plus that they have all become active. It's possible that they were just stressed but not stressed out so to speak. They could pull through just fine and grow their fins out without a problem (and I was already having you take them back.. shame on me... lol). Though no, 3 days isn't enough as it could take a week or two before the effects hurt them... that is if they do at all. Again it's up to you, but with a little love and care they could pull through this and live for years. They are tough little buggers after all. Here's hoping they weren't subjected to those levels of nitrate for too long and that they all pull through with flying colors.

You may, however, want to attempt (not sure if they will listen) to contact the pet store (speak with a manager preferably) and tell them that their water is going to kill their fish before they get a chance to sell any if they leave it like that. Make it appear that you are doing them a favor by not returning the fish right now and taking your business elsewhere. Then in a week or two if they do happen to take a turn for the worse, you could bring them back and say "see... I told you this would happen" and possibly either get your money back or replacement fish. Just a thought.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The petco here has a habit of putting the corys in with barbs so if yours did that, i'd not be real surprised to find that it's nipped fins. They do sound like they're having normal Cory behavior and are happy in a much better environment than they were and should recover from the cause of their fin damage. A few days observing their fins should confirm the cause of damage. How are their bellies looking? flat, sunk in a little or rounded?

If you want to use your Q. tank now, you could try treating some warmer tap water to build the tank up to 82, maybe 84.. then keep it covered with thick towels to try to keep as much heat in as possible, the air stone in the tank should provide them with oxygen Doing partial water changes each day with more warm water to slowly raise the tank temp might be worth trying, but hopefully that heater won't take too long to show up and you won't have to do any up & down with the water temp. Is your q. tank glass or acrylic?

skipplet

Reaction score
Luniyn said:
Well that is a BIG plus that they have all become active. It's possible that they were just stressed but not stressed out so to speak. They could pull through just fine and grow their fins out without a problem (and I was already having you take them back.. shame on me... lol). Though no, 3 days isn't enough as it could take a week or two before the effects hurt them... that is if they do at all. Again it's up to you, but with a little love and care they could pull through this and live for years. They are tough little buggers after all. Here's hoping they weren't subjected to those levels of nitrate for too long and that they all pull through with flying colors.

You may, however, want to attempt (not sure if they will listen) to contact the pet store (speak with a manager preferably) and tell them that their water is going to kill their fish before they get a chance to sell any if they leave it like that. Make it appear that you are doing them a favor by not returning the fish right now and taking your business elsewhere. Then in a week or two if they do happen to take a turn for the worse, you could bring them back and say "see... I told you this would happen" and possibly either get your money back or replacement fish. Just a thought.
Yeah, I'm going to try the good ole fashioned method of keeping the water clean and giving them the best environment to live in. Hopefully they'll heal up soon. Thanks for the advice and concern. As for the LFS, I haven't been very impressed with their setups. They aren't as bad as Walmart (dead fish in every tank being eaten by the other fish), but they have a lot to improve upon.

FLBettaCouple said:
The petco here has a habit of putting the corys in with barbs so if yours did that, i'd not be real surprised to find that it's nipped fins. They do sound like they're having normal Cory behavior and are happy in a much better environment than they were and should recover from the cause of their fin damage. A few days observing their fins should confirm the cause of damage. How are their bellies looking? flat, sunk in a little or rounded?
3 of the corys have slightly rounded stomachs and the other 2 have flat stomachs. What does that mean?

FLBettaCouple said:
If you want to use your Q. tank now, you could try treating some warmer tap water to build the tank up to 82, maybe 84.. then keep it covered with thick towels to try to keep as much heat in as possible, the air stone in the tank should provide them with oxygen Doing partial water changes each day with more warm water to slowly raise the tank temp might be worth trying, but hopefully that heater won't take too long to show up and you won't have to do any up & down with the water temp. Is your q. tank glass or acrylic?
The tank is glass. It isn't cycled either. Right now I have the sponge filter I'm going to use in the Q tank in my regular tank along with a few ornaments I'll put in there. So, I'm shying away from using it at the moment. Approximately, how long will cycling take if I seed it with ornaments and the sponge filter?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Even with a seeded filter it can still take a couple of weeks. If you haven't cycled it yet then definitely hold off on using it. Keep doing what you are doing, I think that is your best option now. As to the stomaches I just thought that was a way to tell the sex of the cory's, but I'll let FLBettaCouple field that one.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
skipplet said:
3 of the corys have slightly rounded stomachs and the other 2 have flat stomachs. What does that mean?
Mainly I wanted to know if they had sunken bellies. Flat or slightly rounded are good. I've read that for a healthy cory, you want a flat to slightly rounded belly as a sign they're getting enough to eat.

As far as sexing them goes - I'm not sure what to think. ??? From what I've read on corys, there's 3 methods to sex them:
1) the top fin shape (either sharp pointed or round pointed)
2) the females being wider and bigger than males of the same age when looking at them from above
3) the belly shape
I don't know which is the best way, or even if all 3 are valid methods to determine the sex of a cory. Kind of confusing, but I've not been concerned with sexing ours. I'd love to know the sure-fire way to do it though & if any of those 3 are invalid.

I've also read that a really rounded belly is a sign of a female full of eggs.

BioSpira or Zymbac Freshwater could accelerate the cycle for you in the q tank, but I don't think you need to hurry it since you have a working plan going now and the fins should grow back with keeping the water clean.. that worked with our platys when a couple of them had some fins completely nipped off. Best of luck with your corys.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I got mine at petco the label said "Emerald Green Corydoras, $1.99". I got two Bronze Corys and 1 Aenus Cory. My Aenus cory had literally NO tail. Its grown back now, and he/she is good as new! Good luck with yours.
Brianna

skipplet

Reaction score
Ok, good to hear. Thanks guys.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom