Bought Pregnant Fish Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by image_image, Apr 2, 2010.

1. i

image_image Valued Member Member

So, I purchased two molly fish about 2 or 3 weeks ago, one male and one female. Now I know it's better to have more than one female so that the male doesn't harass the female, but so far there haven't been any problems.

Monday night I found 2 little fry swimming at the bottom of the tank. Not having the heart to flush the little guys, I put them in a mason jar with treated water and left them under a desk lamp to try to bring the water to somewhat of a warmer temp. I called the pet store the next morning and I was told they were better off left in the tank with the filtered, aerated water.

After about a day, my boyfriend noticed there was one fry left hiding behind the filter. I sucked it out with a turkey baster, put him in a dixie cup while my boyfriend rigged a little tank for him by poking holes in a little plastic container to hook onto the lip on the tank.

I've been feeding it crushed flake food 3x a day and until today it has been eating it and looking rather healthy. As of today, it's been hanging out at the bottom of it's little "tank." I know this probably isn't a good sign... is there anything I can do to help the little guy?! I just feel bad because it's a baby haha.

2. Zenial

Zenial Valued Member Member

They can be fickle things.

Without the water passing through from the aquarium to his makeshift tank, I imagine you're forever(once or twice a day) doing tiny water changes to remove excess food, as it is basically impossible not to overfeed a fry.

Hope you're little guy is zipping about happily :)

3. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay some I'm trying to get this straight you have the cup in the water in the tank with little holes. Well I'm guessing he's not getting enough air. Even with your little holes not enough water flow is getting through it. Like for instance think about if you were stuck in a car for days with the windows barely cracked. At first you'd be fine but as time went on you wouldn't feel as good. I reccomend if you want to keep him to either get a breeding net that goes inside the tank or actually buy him a little tank of his own. What I plan on doing when my first batch of fry out grow their breeder net is put them in my 10 gal with no gravel and a put a divider by the filter so they can't get sucked up in it and then when I have multiple sets of fry I can just add more dividers whenever needed.

4. OP
    OP
    i

This makes a lot of sense. Although the container he is in is plenty big for the mini size he is now, it's absolutely possible the holes are not big enough for him to be getting enough air. There are about 12 holes poked in with an xacto knife. Are there any DIY things I can do as far as breeding nets go?

5. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

When I had my first fry ever I put them into my net like the net I use to scoop dead fish. But they quickly outgrow it unless you have a rather large net. I think the breeder nets were only like $5 or $6. Another option is like I said buying him a tank of his own. Usually little 10 gallon tanks or smaller aren't that expensive and usually someone can find the space for one. Getting him an actual glass tank of his own will give you room for if you want to keep the fry of the next batch then you'll already have a nice set up for them. Another option (although I don't really like them) is you can get a little critter keeper they come in various sizes and round or square...
    138.jpg
    142.jpg

And those run like $2 to $10 depending on the size and they come in various colors.

Then you can buy disposable filters for these little tanks. I've never used one so I don't know how it works but I've heard they work well.
    [​IMG]

And that will run you about $10. So there are some other options for you, you could also just get a divider for your tank. And give him a small end of it.

6. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, I have that filter for the 2gal tank I have now. I purchased a breeding net, and I'm just going to hope it doesn't take too much room of the tank. If it does, I may try the critter keeper thing for a short-term home for the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice