Bought new plant

newbietetra

Hi,

What is this plant in the background (with big green leaf)? The seller tied it to a piece of drift wood. My sister just bought this yesterday without doing any research. Our tank already has a red plant (on the left) and alot of moss. They dont seem to be growing. i havent used any fertilizer, and dont know much about it. i am just beginning to learn about plants.

Thanks!
You must be registered to see images

CTYankee79

That’s Anubias. Tying to driftwood is the proper thing to do as the rhizome where all the stems attach cannot be buried or it will rot. It’s a hardy, atttactive, slow growing plant, good for beginners.

bored411

Looks like Anubis. I've had one in my tank for a bit over a month and it's just started getting new leaves. Rather slow growers, though I have a low-tech set-up which makes it even slower.

newbietetra

That’s Anubias. Tying to driftwood is the proper thing to do as the rhizome where all the stems attach cannot be buried or it will rot. It’s a hardy, atttactive, slow growing plant, good for beginners.

I wanted to cut the plant free from the driftwood, to boil it before putting it into the tank.
But I was overruled. Since we cannot boil the driftwood while the plant is attached, we did not disinfect the driftwood. I hope the driftwood did not bring bad stuff into the tank.

CTYankee79

I wanted to cut the plant free from the driftwood, to boil it before putting it into the tank.
But I was overruled. Since we cannot boil the driftwood while the plant is attached, we did not disinfect the driftwood. I hope the driftwood did not bring bad stuff into the tank.
For future reference, you can cut the plant from the driftwood. To reattach it, you can use thread, or I find one of the best ways is by using a gel superglue. Use it sparingly and try to make sure surfaces are relatively dry (never allow the leaves of the plant to dry out though), it sets up quick and the plants stay firmly attached.

Linda1234

Looks closer to Anubias barteri Coffeifolia; the coffeifolia is similar to regular barteri but has more ruffle in the leaves. It can be planted in substrate but make sure the rhizome (the long log the leaves connect to) is above the substrate with a tad bit of room under it. A lot of people will clue them to rocks or driftwood; but I personally never liked that approach.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
King o´ Angelfish
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies