Bought myself a birthday present today :)

Terra

Well Known
Tonight I found myself with birthday gift money in my pocket while at Walmart buying toilet paper, which is a terrible thing to run out of btw. Walmart devilishly puts their paper products aisle RIGHT NEXT to the pet supplies aisle, and those darn 5 gallon tanks that keep haunting me each trip to the store jumped out and said 'psst... buy me... buy me now'.

Who am I to argue with a talking aquarium?

With a shiny new 5 gallon aquarium in hand, and half a bag of eco-complete gravel leftover in a ziploc baggy at home, and several extra plants hogging up the swimming room in my tanks, and knowledge I can just steal half my filter media from another tank for a cycle... I just had to walk next door to PetLand too. I swear it's a conspiracy with Walmart to put the pet store literally next door.

The shelf of bettas was as sad and gloomy as always, maybe more so today since I was trying to pick one to save. My son and I narrowed it down to 2 particularly bad looking ones. I know I should buy a healthy alert and active guy, but I'd rather save one from assured death instead. I picked up both cups, one a gorgeous navy blue guy laying in a literal cloud of his own poop and looking like he couldn't even swim anymore... and the other a sickly looking whitish yellow guy swimming in water far more yellow than himself. The white one flared at me lol, I figured that meant "pick me" so I did.

We rushed him home.. it's freezing outside... and let his cup float in my 20 gallon to warm his water a bit while I setup his new tank and borrowed some filter stuff from the other betta's tank. He flared at the cherry barbs.. and flared.. .and flared... and flared some more. Phew, I got a lively one! I haven't thought up a name for him yet, my son is calling him Grumpy. My betta Razormane has flared exactly 3 times since I've had him lol. He's in his tank now with the light off so I'll get pics tomorrow for you guys and gals. He hides behind the rocks in the bottom of I go near the tank, poor thing is scared to death, but trying to act brave. He poked his head from behind the rocks and flared at me once, then promptly hid again. I saw him flare at the apple snail I bought for his tank as well. I think he may be Mordin's long lost brother.

I've kinda gotten a look at him, from afar. He has an odd bright white spot on his head, but it doesn't look like a fungus, it just looks like weird coloring. His caudal fin is kinda short, dunno if he chewed it off or what, I guess time will tell He's having trouble swimming right. I baffled the filter and even tried turning it off. With zero water movement he still has an awkward swim, his body doesn't bend with him, so when he tries to turn he ends up colliding into something and doing a little flip to turn around. It's almost like he's learning how to for the first time. I hate those cups There are some black streaks and some pinkish red streaks on him, which I hope are natural coloring and not signs of something nasty infecting him. I really hope he turns out to be happy and healthy with me, I don't think anyone would have bought him.. he's probably the ugliest of all they had for sale.

monkeypie102

Well Known
I love that you did this and I am sure Mr. grumpy love your for it also!

And I think you should argue with a talking tank... would make for a fun conversation!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
LOL that was a fun read! I need to find more talking tanks Hope your new betta perks up soon!

fishynoob

Well Known
Amazing read. I must admit none of my LFS have bettas in that condition. It is probably a good job or I will be setting up some more tanks for them I too am a sucker for that "poor fish that will die if I don't rescue it" Though I must admit I have never had a betta maybe I should get just one more tank...... If I set up my dressing table I do have that other tank downstairs.... No Ery, baaad Ery....

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
I'm so glad you gave him a new home he does sound feisty lol maybe him and Mordin are related lol.
The little guy was probably just settling in its probably really strange going from a tiny little cup to a whole new tank all to himself.

I'm really looking forward to updates

OP
T

Terra

Well Known
He gobbled down his breakfast today and didn't even flare at me. Of course soon as I returned with a camera he ran back to his hiding spot, lol.

fishynoob, I agree with you there. My PetLand here generally keeps their tanks and betta cups clean. Most of them were, just those couple were very dirty and neglected. Maybe they missed them accidentally, I dunno. Both of the ladies on duty went on about their betta fish at home, I'd assume they'd care for the ones at the store with equal attentiveness :/

Oooh I got it! They leave one or two in deplorable shape so that people like me will have to buy them

OP
T

Terra

Well Known
Hmm... my camera seems to be broken, it won't turn on and it's plenty charged Oh well, excuse to buy a better one for Christmas!

My "Grumpy" is not so grumpy anymore. Good thing I didn't agree to name him that yet. He's settled in and looking a little less raggedy, and made a bubblenest in the corner overnight! He also swam up to greet me this morning for breakfast.

He is stalking the apple snail in his tank lol. He spends a lot of time following behind it with his head cocked to the side eyeing it closely. I think he's trying to figure out if it can be a snack or if it will eat him first instead

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Lol he sounds adorable and a little like someone else I know although not quite as flary.

I'm happy to hear he has settled in shame about your camera but perfect excuse for a new one for Christmas

Orion5

Well Known
Hats off to you for saving those fish! I am disgusted by betta cups, and even lobbied in my community to shut down a local cafe because they insisted on keeping a betta in a cup at each table. They seriously need to be outlawed. Thank you for helping them by choosing those who looked the worse off!

I did the same thing with goldfish in those overcrowded tanks for a long time, and now many of them are living happily in a pond at a greenhouse where I used to work. I find it also to be good practice to get sickly fish so I could learn how to sure them.

lizzj

Awesome thing you did. I feel so sorry for them in those cups. It sure was his lucky day!

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Lol, you got a good one. I have had a few of those bettas that are just perky and outgoing from day one. They tend to be the best.

Tonia

Well Known
Such a lucky boy!!! I'm glad he got a good home with you

OP
T

Terra

Well Known
Just an update... the camera still won't turn on *grumble*. We've decided Grumpy fits for a name, he's friendly when I have food in my hands, but otherwise he flares... at me, at my son, at his reflection, and mostly at the snail, lol.

The snail made a mistake this morning, it ventured up the side of the glass into his bubblenest (which is now covering almost half the tank). Grumpy flared, he shook his head back and forth like a snake charmer trying to hypnotize the snail out of his nest, he even jerked his body into the side of the tank a few times in frustration, but of course the snail just ignored him. Finally he pecked at it, it closed up and dropped to the substrate. Grumpy then hovered over top of it patiently until it peeked out... he immediately bit at it again. I distracted Grumpy with a freeze dried blood worm, and the snail made a clean getaway.

No sooner had I walked away, but Grumpy was right back at the snail again nipping until it closed up in it's shell. I figured the snail was safe so I let them at it. I assumed Grumpy would realize it was futile and give up after awhile. Nope. Grumpy should be named Stubborn

He stalked that poor snail for hours, if it moved, he immediately dove for it. I decided to try the largest apple snail from my other tank.. this one is easily twice the size of the betta (minus tail)... maybe it's size would intimidate him into leaving it alone. I swapped the snails out, with Grumpy flaring at my hand in his tank. He patiently hovered and waited for the new intruder to peer out of it's shell at the new surroundings, and BAM attack of the evil betta, lol.

So yeah.. Grumpy is now a bachelor in his 5 gallon. If we get algae, I'm making HIM clean it off himself.

OP
T

Terra

Well Known
Grumpy got upgraded 2 days ago to the 20 gallon with the cherry barbs. With his propensity for flaring at everything that moves, I was sure he'd be a no-go there but I wanted to try. I hovered nearby with net in hand ready to rescue the barbs all day. I even woke up at 3am the first night to make sure he wasn't ambushing the barbs in their sleep *sigh*.

It worked! He ignores the cherry barbs, and they think he's awesome. They never did any schooling unless I was doing a water change or fixing up the plants and had my hands in there. Now they follow him around constantly in a perfect school. I was worried maybe he was scaring them and that's why they bunched up... but I don't think that is the case. They're swimming right along with him like he's their big brother, except when he turns around all the sudden they'll scatter real fast and creep up behind again to follow

Hilariously enough, the only inhabitant of that tank he went after... was the very same 2 yellow apple snails that he failed to co-exist with in the 5 gallon LOL. I have swapped them with brown ones from Razormane's tank, and all is good. He doesn't like the color yellow I guess.

His whitish/cream/yellow coloring is gone, he's now a beautiful pale pink with some blue highlights. His tail and fins are all perfectly straight and not raggedy now... and he keeps his tail spread out while he's swimming, I think he secretly wants to be more than a veiltail

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Lol I'm glad to hear he is behaving himself finally lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Otomatic
Replies
Views
FishCareGuide

Random Great Page!