20 Gallon Tank Bought my first clown loach

tetrabutyl

Hey guys, I own a planted 20 gallon with 6 peppered corys. Today i bought a clown loach that’s about 3 inches so he’s a little guy. I know it will quickly outgrow my tank in a few months so i was considering keeping this setup until i save up for a 55 gallon. Any tips? I would appreciate any advice and understand the tank is only temporarily big enough.

SnookusFish

Clown loaches should be kept in groups and even as juveniles they need a 75 gallon minimum, as they grow they need a 6' tank minimum. If you can't provide that and you can't get a group of them i wouldnt keep one.

Upvote 0

tetrabutyl

Clown loaches should be kept in groups and even as juveniles they need a 75 gallon minimum, as they grow they need a 6' tank minimum. If you can't provide that and you can't get a group of them i wouldnt keep one.
So should i attempt to return? are there any smaller loaches that would be better for my situation? I did some research prior to getting it and it said 20 gallon minimum but clearly that was wrong.

Upvote 0

Ssnaaiil

i eventually want to get some kind of loach. Hopefully I don’t sound rude(sorry if I do) but I have learned that you MUST research fish/inverts before buying, I’ve had too many impulse buys that led to me having to rehome many fish that I couldn’t care for in the way that they needed

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Agree, except I would capitalize "before" Since you have it already, you can still enjoy it for a little while. It's not like you have run back to the fish store today or everything will die. But it is best to not keep him in that tank. He may survive there, but you may not be able to enjoy its full behavior that it would exhibit in an appropriately sized tank with tankmates of his own kind.

Upvote 0

tetrabutyl

Agree, except I would capitalize "before" Since you have it already, you can still enjoy it for a little while. It's not like you have run back to the fish store today or everything will die. But it is best to not keep him in that tank. He may survive there, but you may not be able to enjoy its full behavior that it would exhibit in an appropriately sized tank with tankmates of his own kind.
I feel really horrible, lots of misinformation on the web about them. I joined some Facebook BST groups for freshwater fish and I will look into rehoming him. I called my LFS and they currently are not doing returns.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Cant blame you for liking them. I wanted them for years but I have a rule of no fish that can grow beyond 6” in my room. Mostly less than 4”, exception for plecos, farlowellas and the like

Upvote 0

Redshark1

My biggest Clown Loach is now 11.5".

I don't recommend anyone keep them singly or in an aquarium less than 180 gallons with minimum dimensions of 6' x 2' x 2'.

They should be kept in a shoal (at least six preferably more) as they are social fish that need the company of their own kind.

Although 50 million of them are taken from the wild each year very few of them are kept properly and the number that reach their potential is miniscule.

If I had a single Clown Loach and not the means to keep it properly I would give it to somebody who could care for it and acquire a more suitable fish species.

20.08.02 Clown Loaches 6' Aquarium Steve Joul (4).jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
jake37