Help Bought Filter 2 Weeks Ago And Cloudy Water?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
There are certain ways to set up your tank to grow a bacteria that will help remove nitrates but I have never done it so can't give advice on what you need to do to grow it. Just ceramic rings or any media for that matter won't just automatically grow that bacteria. Do a search here on the forum or you may want to start another thread about it and those that know may be able to help you.

Since this is a fishless tank doing a 100% water change would not cause a problem. I am not saying you need to change that much. I just wanted to let you know you can change enough to get your nitrates down and your PH up.
Then I’ll do 70 to 80% water changes every day to remove nitrates and buffer the Ph.

It seems your experience with algae is proving that RO water doesn't prevent it. Chlorine in your tap water isn't a problem as long as you use a water conditioner to remove it. Most water conditioners claim to remove heavy metals too. I don't understand why you have dirty water coming from your tap but only you can know that and what is causing it. [/QUOTE said:
Since I’ve put in my RO filter unit ( for drinking and water supply for my tanks) I’ve realised within a month how dirty the filter got due to the water.

I read back through this thread and unless I am just over looking it I don't think you have said what size this tank is. I will say if you are only going to put a Betta in this tank there is no need to grow enough bacteria to process 2 or 3ppm ammonia daily. .5 to 1 should be plenty.[/QUOTE said:
It is a 5 gallon

I am thinking it is nothing more than a bacterial bloom. Once the numbers are balanced it should start clearing up. It is also possible it is bacteria that has died if there was an over abundance of bacteria you moved over from your cycled tank. If it wasn't getting as much food as it was used to it could be dying off. [/QUOTE said:
Ok thank you.

If the PH in this tank has been this low ever since you put the filter and seeded media in it the ammonia has been ammonium and as I said before. The bacteria can process it but not as well as ammonia so some bacteria may be dying off[\QUOTE said:
The Ph was about 5.99 when I got the filter. I’m sorry if the reply is weirdly layout since it’s my first time doing this. And thank you so much for taking your time and answering my questions.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are so very welcome. Please let me know how things are going. I love reading happy endings.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simply put. Water changes are almost always the answer to most problems in our tanks. Water changes can normally fix problems but I prefer to prevent the problems to begin with by doing big water changes each and every week

. Keeping up with the water changes throughout a fishes life leads to a long healthy life. My 5.5 gallon tank gets no less than 75% of its water changed each and every week and right now it only has 2 tiny cory fry and 1 tiny bristle nose pleco in it. I normally use this tank for my grow out tank.

My 55 gallon and 10 gallon (I call it a 10 gallon but it is a sterlite storage tote and actually could hold 15 or so gallons) get at least 50% water changes weekly and then once a month I do an even bigger one on each of them.

The storage tote is the tank I use to quarantine new plants. All of the ones I get go in this tank first and stay there until they have acclimated to my water. I have some very small mollies living in there with the plants. Once a month I change out about 8 gallons of water. That is an 80% water change.

All of this to say: Do big water changes and you should always have healthy tanks

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TimothyHartwick said:
Just to clarify bacterial blooms are caused by too much BB correct? And should I decrease the amount from before?
I don't believe it means too much BB. From what I understand about bacterial blooms is that the BB needs to settle onto surfaces like substrate, walls, ornaments and mostly in the filter itself.

The reason it happens during cycling is because the BB just hasn't settled in yet. If that makes sense.

That is how I understand it anyway. But I could be wrong.

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much" BB anyway! If there isn't enough ammonia being produced to feed the BB, it will die off. You will only retain however much BB is needed to handle the bioload of the tank. So if you were to have an understocked tank, the BB will be lower. You add a bunch more fish and the BB will have to catch up with the additional bioload, so you can sometimes go through mini-cycles if you add too many new fish at once. And then if you remove a bunch of fish, the amount of BB will lessen...because again, it only survives with an ammonia source. The more ammonia being produced, the more BB can survive. The less being produced, the less BB you will retain.

Someone correct me if I am not explaining that correctly.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bizaliz3 said:
I don't believe it means too much BB. From what I understand about bacterial blooms is that the BB needs to settle onto surfaces like substrate, walls, ornaments and mostly in the filter itself.

The reason it happens during cycling is because the BB just hasn't settled in yet. If that makes sense.

That is how I understand it anyway. But I could be wrong.

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much" BB anyway! If there isn't enough ammonia being produced to feed the BB, it will die off. You will only retain however much BB is needed to handle the bioload of the tank. So if you were to have an understocked tank, the BB will be lower. You add a bunch more fish and the BB will have to catch up with the additional bioload, so you can sometimes go through mini-cycles if you add too many new fish at once. And then if you remove a bunch of fish, the amount of BB will lessen...because again, it only survives with an ammonia source. The more ammonia being produced, the more BB can survive. The less being produced, the less BB you will retain.

Someone correct me if I am not explaining that correctly.
If that's correct that was a perfect explanation. It's been like that for nearly 3 weeks, is that normal? I've done an 80% water change today and 80% yesterday it's clear for like 10 mins then it's cloudy again. I'm starting to think it's soil particles since every week the filter floss is really dirty and so is the media on top.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TimothyHartwick said:
If that's correct that was a perfect explanation. It's been like that for nearly 3 weeks, is that normal? I've done an 80% water change today and 80% yesterday it's clear for like 10 mins then it's cloudy again. I'm starting to think it's soil particles since every week the filter floss is really dirty and so is the media on top.
It could mean you dont have enough filter media for it to attach to. What kind of filter do you have?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_1446.JPG

After 3 days and 3 massive water changes

Ph: 6.65

Took 20 minutes to brush off the algae from the glass.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom