Help Bought Filter 2 Weeks Ago And Cloudy Water?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve had this tank for 2 months now and just got a filter 2 weeks ago. Ever since I put it in it started to be cloudy, it somewhat cleared up but still very cloudy. I put cycled media from my established tank and feed it fish food or pure ammonia every day since their aren’t any fish in it besides some snails. Any help?
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
the clearer picture is without the filter.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would ride it out a bit and as far as the plants getting dirty are they showing brown that wipes away easily? Those are usually diatoms which pretty much always show up in new tanks. You can just brush them away and siphon them up when you do your WC's. Keep testing your parameters and feeding the beneficial bacteria. Till your readings show zero nitrites and ammonia and traces (5-20) nitrates. And once your able to dose 2ppm of ammonia and test the next day and its back to zero you will be ready to stock.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would ride it out a bit and as far as the plants getting dirty are they showing brown that wipes away easily? Those are usually diatoms which pretty much always show up in new tanks. You can just brush them away and siphon them up when you do your WC's. Keep testing your parameters and feeding the beneficial bacteria. Till your readings show zero nitrites and ammonia and traces (5-20) nitrates. And once your able to dose 2ppm of ammonia and test the next day and its back to zero you will be ready to stock.
How long will this process take? Since it’s been like this for over 2 weeks.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A completed tank cycle can take anywhere between 4-8 weeks. Do you know your current water parameter readings. Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates and PH
Nitrate: around 100 (using tetra 6 in 1 so don’t know if it’s accurate)
Nitrite: 0.5 (using tetra 6 in 1)
Ammonia: around 0.15 (ammonia api kit)
Ph: 5.99 give or take a few

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe add a snail and do a 30% water change and have the lights on for shorter periods. Also find out if you can take a sample to your lfs to test for total dissolved solids (tds). Also make sure there is enough water circulation.
Give your tank time to cycle. Some times to re cycles and it takes longer

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe add a snail and do a 30% water change and have the lights on for shorter periods. Also find out if you can take a sample to your lfs to test for total dissolved solids (tds). Also make sure there is enough water circulation.
Give your tank time to cycle. Some times to re cycles and it takes longer
I have some pest snails, and how many hours should the lights be on for? Right now it’s from 10 am to 7pm on the manual timers, so 9 hours. Also since feeding flakes and pure ammonia I’ve noticed the reddish coloured worms in my tank more. Like around 3 to 4 of them all about 3 cm. any help?
IMG_1376.JPG
that’s an old picture but it looks like that, it can stretch its body a lot.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your nitrates are too high and your PH is too low to successfully cycle this tank.

What is the PH of your source water? If it is higher than what you are seeing in this tank water changes should get the tanks PH up close to the same as your source water.

If you are adding pure liquid ammonia there is no reason to also be adding fish food. All it is doing is adding a lot of unnecessary waste to a cycling tank and could be adding to the clouding issue.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your nitrates are too high and your PH is too low to successfully cycle this tank.

What is the PH of your source water? If it is higher than what you are seeing in this tank water changes should get the tanks PH up close to the same as your source water.

If you are adding pure liquid ammonia there is no reason to also be adding fish food. All it is doing is adding a lot of unnecessary waste to a cycling tank and could be adding to the clouding issue.
Ph of RO water is 7.01, should I decrease the amount of liquid ammonia? I change it up like 2-3 days of flakes and a couple of days of liquid ammonia since I’m running low on ammonia and it’s a 3 hour drive to get some more. And should I do a water change every day until the nitrates are lower and the Ph is higher? And I think I’m close to a cycled tank correct?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I am understanding correctly you have had this tank running for 2 months without a filter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am assuming that you have another tank that is fully cycled. You moved some seeded media from a cycled tank to this tank when you put a filter on this tank. If the media came from a cycle and well stocked tank you should have gotten an almost instant cycle in this tank. The thing about the low PH is it turns your ammonia into ammonium. The bacteria can still process the ammonium but not very well or very fast.

You may find that your cycle is complete if you will get the nitrates down and the PH up with water changes.

Is there a specific reason you are using RO water? If the PH is higher in your tap water is it possible to use it for your water change to get the PH up above 7?

You don't need to be adding ammonia every day at this point and the amount of ammonia you need to add depends on what you plan on stocking this tank with. 1ppm every other day may be enough.

I can't say for certain how long it will take to complete the cycle but if you added seeded media it is very possible that you have already finished cycling. Now it is just a matter of getting the numbers balanced out.

The high nitrates and Low PH need to be taken care of. Get the nitrates down to close to 20 and the PH above 7 and I think you will be well on your way to a fully cycled tank.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I am understanding correctly you have had this tank running for 2 months without a filter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am assuming that you have another tank that is fully cycled. You moved some seeded media from a cycled tank to this tank when you put a filter on this tank. If the media came from a cycle and well stocked tank you should have gotten an almost instant cycle in this tank. The thing about the low PH is it turns your ammonia into ammonium. The bacteria can still process the ammonium but not very well or very fast.

You may find that your cycle is complete if you will get the nitrates down and the PH up with water changes.

Is there a specific reason you are using RO water? If the PH is higher in your tap water is it possible to use it for your water change to get the PH up above 7?

You don't need to be adding ammonia every day at this point and the amount of ammonia you need to add depends on what you plan on stocking this tank with. 1ppm every other day may be enough.

I can't say for certain how long it will take to complete the cycle but if you added seeded media it is very possible that you have already finished cycling. Now it is just a matter of getting the numbers balanced out.

The high nitrates and Low PH need to be taken care of. Get the nitrates down to close to 20 and the PH above 7 and I think you will be well on your way to a fully cycled tank.
I've had this tank for 9 weeks, 6 of them were without a filter and the rest has been with a small filter (enough for a 5 gal).

I got the media from my well stocked 75 gallon since the filter didn't have any media in it ( I also had to add filter floss).

My cycled media are ceramic rings but I've heard they aren't good for lowering nitrates. Any idea on how to lower it? If it's safe I'll do a 30-40% water change everyday until its lowered. Just need confirmation that it's safe to do.

My tap water has a lot of chlorine in it and other metals and really dirty. People say RO water also helps with algae (ironically I have a significant amount).

Might stock it with a betta (not really sure yet).

So if I get the numbers to an acceptable amount will the cloudiness go away? I'm still not fully sure why it's cloudy? From what I've heard it's a lot of BB clumping up, please correct me if I'm wrong.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had this tank for 9 weeks, 6 of them were without a filter and the rest has been with a small filter (enough for a 5 gal).

I got the media from my well stocked 75 gallon since the filter didn't have any media in it ( I also had to add filter floss).

My cycled media are ceramic rings but I've heard they aren't good for lowering nitrates. Any idea on how to lower it? If it's safe I'll do a 30-40% water change everyday until its lowered. Just need confirmation that it's safe to do.
There are certain ways to set up your tank to grow a bacteria that will help remove nitrates but I have never done it so can't give advice on what you need to do to grow it. Just ceramic rings or any media for that matter won't just automatically grow that bacteria. Do a search here on the forum or you may want to start another thread about it and those that know may be able to help you.

Since this is a fishless tank doing a 100% water change would not cause a problem. I am not saying you need to change that much. I just wanted to let you know you can change enough to get your nitrates down and your PH up.

My tap water has a lot of chlorine in it and other metals and really dirty. People say RO water also helps with algae (ironically I have a significant amount).
It seems your experience with algae is proving that RO water doesn't prevent it. Chlorine in your tap water isn't a problem as long as you use a water conditioner to remove it. Most water conditioners claim to remove heavy metals too. I don't understand why you have dirty water coming from your tap but only you can know that and what is causing it.

Might stock it with a betta (not really sure yet).
I read back through this thread and unless I am just over looking it I don't think you have said what size this tank is. I will say if you are only going to put a Betta in this tank there is no need to grow enough bacteria to process 2 or 3ppm ammonia daily. .5 to 1 should be plenty.

So if I get the numbers to an acceptable amount will the cloudiness go away? I'm still not fully sure why it's cloudy? From what I've heard it's a lot of BB clumping up, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I am thinking it is nothing more than a bacterial bloom. Once the numbers are balanced it should start clearing up. It is also possible it is bacteria that has died if there was an over abundance of bacteria you moved over from your cycled tank. If it wasn't getting as much food as it was used to it could be dying off.

If the PH in this tank has been this low ever since you put the filter and seeded media in it the ammonia has been ammonium and as I said before. The bacteria can process it but not as well as ammonia so some bacteria may be dying off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom