Bought Betta With Whitened Stripe. Now He's Flaring

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aquile40, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Aquile40New MemberMember

I bought a betta with an interesting white stripe. I thought it was unusual but figured it was from a fight. Little man was fine for the first two days but now won't stop flaring. I started treating for ick and raised temperature but I'm not sure I'm giving him the right treatment.

Attached Files:

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

The white stripe just looks like natural colouration and I'm not seeing anything physically wrong with him. What is he flaring at? In what spot of the tank? Can we get more pictures of where and when he does it?

3. Aquile40New MemberMember

The discolored scales look as if they were unnaturally discolored. They have a shade of white around the scales.

I took him out of the water. It seems like there are no scales where the white spot is.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I second natural markings and coloration. I'm sure there are scales there as the tissue looks perfectly healthy to me. My guess is the marble gene is working a bit of magic, it can turn on area a different color and the change often spreads over the entire fish. I suggest you stop messing with him and picking him up with your hands, it's far too stressful on them to snap a few pics. Momentarily holding larger fish for pictures is fine but small fish don't handle it as well.

I see no ich or other problems so better to turn the temp down to 78-80F and call it good. No point in treating for something that isn't there. As for the flaring, some bettas just do it, some never do, and others will stop after they adjust to their new tank.

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

put him back in the tank and give him time to adapt to his new home