Bought Betta With Whitened Stripe. Now He's Flaring

Aquile40

Reaction score
I bought a betta with an interesting white stripe. I thought it was unusual but figured it was from a fight. Little man was fine for the first two days but now won't stop flaring. I started treating for ick and raised temperature but I'm not sure I'm giving him the right treatment.

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The white stripe just looks like natural colouration and I'm not seeing anything physically wrong with him. What is he flaring at? In what spot of the tank? Can we get more pictures of where and when he does it?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I second natural markings and coloration. I'm sure there are scales there as the tissue looks perfectly healthy to me. My guess is the marble gene is working a bit of magic, it can turn on area a different color and the change often spreads over the entire fish. I suggest you stop messing with him and picking him up with your hands, it's far too stressful on them to snap a few pics. Momentarily holding larger fish for pictures is fine but small fish don't handle it as well.

I see no ich or other problems so better to turn the temp down to 78-80F and call it good. No point in treating for something that isn't there. As for the flaring, some bettas just do it, some never do, and others will stop after they adjust to their new tank.

Atomicfish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there anything reflective around the tank or a mirror near by? Male Bettas will often flare at themself’s because they think they see another male betta.

TheBettaNewbie

Reaction score
Looks normal to me, my betta used to look like he has no scale (Mine is a KoI betta). He is currently about to be 1 year old and still alive so don't worry about that. However, the flaring issue should really be monitored. Check around and see if there's any reflection. Excessive flaring causes a lot of stress on them. Also, you don't have to take him out of the water for photos.

New Threads