Bought an Established Tank - Have questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Briia, Aug 8, 2015.

1. BriiaNew MemberMember

Hello, I tried looking for the correct sub-forum to post this into, but it's kind of a multi-part question and I am rather a beginner, so I thought I'd ask here.

So I recently bought an established tank off of bookoo. It is a 30-gallon tank and arrived half full of water and all the fish inside still. It's been two weeks and the tank is still in great condition, but now that I'm learning more about fish I'm starting to question some of its inhabitants.

The lady who sold it to me didn't know very much about the fish inside, apparently this was mostly her sons project. According to her it came with a "hand full of tropicals, a bottom feeder, and an eel."
    Okay. So I've taken to task to identify the fish inside. We have about 7 small guys swimming about, 3 glowlight tetras, 2 bloodfin tetras, and 2 zebra danios. Now here's where things get odd. There are two 2-inch goldfish. The bottom feeder is a Chinese algae eater (which from what I've read they are aggressive and bad community fish) Finally, I was able to see the "eel" she talked about and realized the poor guy is a kuli loach.

So first question: Can all these fish live peaceably, at least for a while until I can afford the investment into a second tank. The CAE is already a little aggressive, we call him the grumpy old man because he spends most of his time in his log and everytime another fish comes near him he chases them away, and the goldfish I'm worried about being too big for this tank. From everything I've been reading about goldfish, it seems like they need a very large amount of space. Eventually I want to get a second tank and probably move the CAE and the goldfish over to it, but I can't afford that financial investment right now, especially after just purchasing this tank. So are they going to be fine for now, or should I try to find a new home for the CAE and goldies?

Question two... the loach seems pretty miserable. The substrate is gravel, not sand, and he doesn't have any tank mates. We've only seen him out once, then he buried himself in the gravel pretty fast. I know that they are sociable creatures and I just feel awful for this guy being alone, but I think my tank might be too full to add any more loaches... also I'm not sure if they would be ok in the gravel. I've always loved loaches and have wanted them, but I wasn't planning on having them in this tank, but now that it turns out I have one, I don't know if I need to try to add a sand area in the tank and get more, or again, try to find a new home for this guy(If I could even get him out of the water, lol)

I think I've learned my lesson about buying established tanks from other people. None of the schooling fish seem like they have enough tank mates of their own species to school with and the tank already seems like it's near or over capacity from what I've been reading.

Anyway, any advice would be welcomed. I had tanks growing up and I've always wanted fish, so when I saw this deal I kind of jumped on it without really knowing what I was getting myself into.

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    It seems like you've got a real mish mash of fish there from the previous owner.
    What I would do first is rehome the goldfish, they really won't do well in a tropical tank as they need much cooler temperature & if they're common or comet goldfish then they'll really be better in a pond as they grow very large.
    I'd also rehome the CAE, as you've discovered they can get quite aggressive & again grow quite large.
    Once they've been rehomed then you could up the numbers of the schooling fish you have & if you can, replace the gravel with sand & get some more kuhlis.

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You'll need to rehome the CAE asap as it will get way too big for your tank, upwards of 10", as you mentioned it will get aggressive and territorial as it gets older. The goldfish need to go as well. They have cooler temperature requirements than the other fish and those two alone are making the tank overstocked.

Do you have a test kit to check water parameters? If not, pick up an API Freshwater test kit from Petco/Petsmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

All of the "small guys" need groups of 6 or more, as they are schooling fish. I'd say get rid of maybe one species of the tetra(donation to LFS) and focus on filling the other two's schools.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above advice, I'll add that the above poster means that they should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species, not mixed and matched types like you have....
    Kuhli loaches also should be kept in groups of 6+.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice