Bought A Used Tank, Have Questions About Sump

Annabanana

The tank I picked up came with a sump and after some googling I've determined it's likely an aqueon proflex sump (model 3 I think) it seems to be missing a few things some of which I probably wouldn't need anyways but some I might. It looks like this

The two baffles on the right each have those 3 square holes which means that water just flows straight through. It was supposed to have a blue foam "sump block" (judging by the state the tank was in when I got it I imagine this was tossed because it was likely disgusting) which would have slowed the flow and caused the water to go over the first baffle then through the larger hole on the second. I haven't been able to find a replacement "sump block" so I'm wondering what my next steps should be. I wasn't planning on having a refugium in the sump just the filter socks then a skimmer in the second chamber then return pump in the last. Should I find something else to block those holes? Is there a way to break the bond between the baffles and the tank (they are both acrylic) and get new baffles?

SecretiveFish

We ended up with that same sump when we purchased a used tank and like you it was missing parts... We tried to make it work, but that sump now lives in a shed waiting to be gotten rid.

BRS filter socks fit ok in the holes of the first chamber (BRS Felt Filter Sock with Plastic Ring).

We constantly had trouble keeping that sliding door in your last picture from falling down. It was probably missing a part, but we were not able to locate the spare parts to purchase separately.

I would not recommend trying to remove the baffles. The adhesive used with acrylic is quite strong (actually melts the acrylic!) and more likely you would end up cracking the clear acrylic. We put a rolled up filter pad in that section, and it worked OK-ish.

The main reason we finally put that sump in the shed and made our own is that there are lots of squares edges along the bottom that trap for detritus. I hope this sump works for your purposes though!

Annabanana

I looked at the aqueon website and it's supposed to have a egg crate shelf that holds that sliding door up, but only if you are using the second chamber for bio balls or a refugium it says to have that sliding door down if you want to use it for a skimmer. I'm mostly confused about the blue foam that's supposed to be a sump block, wouldn't that collect detritus? Are people supposed to clean it somehow? Why can't I buy one separately?

SecretiveFish

It would collect detritus, but removing the sponge and cleaning it would help.

I really don't understand why the do not sell one separately... Sponges break down over time so... shouldn't there be replacements?!?

FishyKat

I'd use filter floss instead of sponges where the sponges supposed to go. it absorbs more than sponges

I don't use filter socks, only when I do a water change to catch all the gunk when I clean the sand. otherwise, no socks as it's a nitrate factory.

Annabanana

I'm thinking I might be better off taking the 30 gal tank we are running now and convert it to a sump. I'm not sure I can get this one configured the way I'd like, it seems it's better suited as a refugium

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom