Bought a male and female Platy instead of two females!!

Fishdude32

Hello so today I have just purchased some platies for my 20 gallon tank. I have got two supposedly both female, but I just realized one of them is male. I have basically cycled my tank but I didn’t realize you have to ammonia once more and let it fall with 24 hours so I have a partially cycled tank but no ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are present. I have prime and stability handy, would it hurt if I go out next weekend and get another female Platy? I’m planning on stocking further but I am stocking lightly to start.

Silverleaf209

Hello so today I have just purchased some platies for my 20 gallon tank. I have got two supposedly both female, but I just realized one of them is male. I have basically cycled my tank but I didn’t realize you have to ammonia once more and let it fall with 24 hours so I have a partially cycled tank but no ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are present. I have prime and stability handy, would it hurt if I go out next weekend and get another female Platy? I’m planning on stocking further but I am stocking lightly to start.
I don't think it would hurt to much.

Fishdude32

I don't think it would hurt to much.
Ok great and since I just introduced the fish the other day one of them, the male, I believe is a little overwhelmed about his new environment and is hiding a lot, as far as I’ve read this is normal when fish are adjusting to a new environment, correct?

Silverleaf209

Ok great and since I just introduced the fish the other day one of them, the male, I believe is a little overwhelmed about his new environment and is hiding a lot, as far as I’ve read this is normal when fish are adjusting to a new environment, correct?
Most likely, yes.

emeraldking

I’ve read this is normal when fish are adjusting to a new environment, correct?
That's correct!

Fishdude32

That's correct!
Ok and lastly I have made a discovery that this Platy may actually be female it’s very hard to catch him/her but here are some pictures I just took. I am thinking it may be female after all.
Ok and lastly I have made a discovery that this Platy may actually be female it’s very hard to catch him/her but here are some pictures I just took. I am thinking it may be female after all.
I would like to specify I’m talking about the yellow one

Attachments

• E1338B98-106C-4E49-9EA2-65285C9AADE1.jpeg
    E1338B98-106C-4E49-9EA2-65285C9AADE1.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 5D8B7CA9-FD8D-4F9B-9C27-6BA58B97A018.jpeg
    5D8B7CA9-FD8D-4F9B-9C27-6BA58B97A018.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 9

Silverleaf209

It appears they are both female after all.

sunflower430

I have a partially cycled tank but no ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are present. I have prime and stability handy, would it hurt if I go out next weekend and get another female Platy?
I'd keep an eye on your parameters through the week. If you develop any ammonia or nitrite, I'd hold off on adding any more fish until you work back through the cycle. No need to increase your bio load and stress/threaten your fish if you know your cycle can't handle the load yet.

emeraldking

The orange one is a female but the yellow one could be a male. Why am I saying this? Look at the tip of the analfin of both. The tip of the orange one is round edged but the the yellow one has got the tip already a bit pointy edged. Which makes me think, that the analfin will transform into a gonopodium.

Fishdude32

I'd keep an eye on your parameters through the week. If you develop any ammonia or nitrite, I'd hold off on adding any more fish until you work back through the cycle. No need to increase your bio load and stress/threaten your fish if you know your cycle can't handle the load yet.
Yep I’m testing every day and I’m about to right now I’ll definetly hold off on adding more if that’s the case but everything is stable right now
The orange one is a female but the yellow one could be a male. Why am I saying this? Look at the tip of the analfin of both. The tip of the orange one is round edged but the the yellow one has got the tip already a bit pointy edged. Which makes me think, that the analfin will transform into a gonopodium.
That’s is what I was thinking but I guess we will have to see but the next gosh I do get will be female just to stay on the safe side

Fishdude32

Hey everyone, it has been a bout 6 days since I got my gosh and as of yesterdays test my tests have been showing consistently zero ammonia, zero nitrite, zero nitrate, is my bio load to small or am I testing wrong? I use the api master test kit

Flyfisha

Two platies in a 20 gallon will not produce a lot of ammonia.

After 6 days you might expect to see something.
I would continue with water changes as often as is convenient for you.

Fishdude32

Two platies in a 20 gallon will not produce a lot of ammonia.

After 6 days you might expect to see something.
I would continue with water changes as often as is convenient for you.
I just got .25 ammonia reading but I have prime should I leave it and let the bacteria convert it?
I just got .25 ammonia reading but I have prime should I leave it and let the bacteria convert it?
I’ve been dosing prime every single day

Flyfisha

Oh that’s good news Fishdude32,
If you have not changed any water in the last 6 days I believe changing a small amount is required.
Maybe just 10%- 20% or a couple of gallons?
If you see more than .25 ammonia at any time I would definitely change some water.
This is not the place to write about Seachem‘s claims on detoxifying ammonia. It’s enough to say what they claim is not based on scientific proof.
Be a bit careful adding prime every day , it is a poison that is a fact.

The bacteria will not starve if you lower ammonia. Fish breath out ammonia with every breath as well as poop it. More ammonia is arriving all the time.

Changing some water will not slow the growth of bacteria ( much if at all ) .
Ammonia is toxic to fish that is a fact.

Don’t clean any hard surfaces.
Don’t disturb the gravel.
Definitely don’t rinse the filter or even touch it unless it’s blocked.

Fishdude32

Oh that’s good news Fishdude32,
If you have not changed any water in the last 6 days I believe changing a small amount is required.
Maybe just 10%- 20% or a couple of gallons?
If you see more than .25 ammonia at any time I would definitely change some water.
This is not the place to write about Seachem‘s claims on detoxifying ammonia. It’s enough to say what they claim is not based on scientific proof.
Be a bit careful adding prime every day , it is a poison that is a fact.

The bacteria will not starve if you lower ammonia. Fish breath out ammonia with every breath as well as poop it. More ammonia is arriving all the time.

Changing some water will not slow the growth of bacteria ( much if at all ) .
Ammonia is toxic to fish that is a fact.

Don’t clean any hard surfaces.
Don’t disturb the gravel.
Definitely don’t rinse the filter or even touch it unless it’s blocked.
Got it all I will do is leave the siphon at the surface and suck out the water thank you so much for staying active on this thread with me it has given me a good peace of mind as a beginner fish keeper

Fishdude32

Got it all I will do is leave the siphon at the surface and suck out the water thank you so much for staying active on this thread with me it has given me a good peace of mind as a beginner fish keeper
Today I was quite alarmed as I just started testing and noticed ammonia had risen to 0.25ppm of ammonia!!! I did a two gallon water change yesterday, is this normal?

image.jpg
I wouldn’t be suprised to say if that looks like 0.5ppm

Flyfisha

Yes that is normal for the API master test kit. Or at least for some of the test kits it is often seen like that.
Some improvement can be made by using sunlight not house lighting.
This very question comes up now and again. It’s been discussed at depth. I don’t know if it’s just background ammonia or if the colour chart is slightly wrong or indeed if it’s only some test kits.
However it is common enough for me to say don’t panic.

Two old photos of mine. The first is house light the second is in the shade but in sunlight.
1DE7BA12-11BB-4843-AB9B-63738346AC61.jpeg

7008AA2B-59DF-4A2F-AA19-5AB276C639A1.jpeg

These are tests of my fully cycled tanks.

As you were partially cycled on the 12 September keep an eye on how it goes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• AnnaP
  • Platy
Replies
Views
CoryMaster151

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

You can change your username:
How to change username

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom