Bought A Betta With Fin Rot. Please Help.

Chris92xx

Reaction score
I could use help please. I am new to Betta keeping. I saw a sick Betta with fin rot at a big chain store and am trying to rescue him. He has about a 1 mm hole in his bottom fin with moderate fraying. I didnt cycle the tank as I bought everything when I saw him. It has been 4 days. I will briefly describe his progress and my treatment. Id greatly appreciate help.

Tank: 3.5 gallons, 2 plants, 2 moss balls, No filter running for now, heater maintaining 78 F.

Day 1: Put him into tank. Added the suggested dose of Betta fix and 1 tsp aquarium salt. Fed him 3 small blood worms. He immediately became tippy and floating severely to side when not swimming. When swimming he stayed at the top.

Day 2: Fasted him all day. Tipping has improved and he is swimming good. Swimming to the bottom and exploring tank but mainly staying at top. Hole in his fin became slightly larger. Checked water levels. Nitrites at 3.0 ppm. Did a 30% water change, including dechlorinator. Dropped Nitrites to about 2.0 ppm.

Day 3: He is seeming pretty good. Swimming good and exploring tank top and. bottom. Fed him a single blood worm but he became slightly tippy again. Recovered quicker this time. Did another 30% water change. Nitrites still around 1.5 ppm. Bought methylene blue. Added about 2 drops for the whole tank. Trying not to kill plants but help with exposure to high nitrites. Also maintaining about 1 tsp salt per 3.5 gallons, and half the suggested dose of betta fix.

Day 4: Fasted him all day. Did about 50% water change and nitrites finally down to a little less than 1 ppm. Maintaining 2 drops methylene blue and all other additives at same level. He seems more lethargic. Spending more time laying at the bottom. Also drops a little bit as he swims to the top. Fin rot seems to be steady, not getting noticeably worse, but definitely more lethargic and not swimming as freely. Not sure if this is due to fasting or maybe nitrite exposure

Day 5: Planning to feed him a small bite of pea and see how he does. Planning to also do another 50% water change.

Should I be concerned he is spending more time at the bottom of the tank? Is 2 drops of methylene blue and decent constant salt dosage enough to combat the nitrite exposure? Should I up the dosage of methylene blue?

He has been fasted 3 days with only small blood worm in between. Is it okay to feed him a small bit of pea now?

Also I have bought Furan 2 in case the fin rot goes down hill. Should I use it already with moderate fin rot? I will add a pic when I figure out how. I would appreciate all the help I can get. I really would like this little guy to make it.

This is my little guy. He is supposed to be a dragon scale.

vinay021

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I could use help please. I am new to Betta keeping. I saw a sick Betta with fin rot at a big chain store and am trying to rescue him. He has about a 1 mm hole in his bottom fin with moderate fraying. I didnt cycle the tank as I bought everything when I saw him. It has been 4 days. I will briefly describe his progress and my treatment. Id greatly appreciate help.

Tank: 3.5 gallons, 2 plants, 2 moss balls, No filter running for now, heater maintaining 78 F.

Day 1: Put him into tank. Added the suggested dose of Betta fix and 1 tsp aquarium salt. Fed him 3 small blood worms. He immediately became tippy and floating severely to side when not swimming. When swimming he stayed at the top.

Day 2: Fasted him all day. Tipping has improved and he is swimming good. Swimming to the bottom and exploring tank but mainly staying at top. Hole in his fin became slightly larger. Checked water levels. Nitrites at 3.0 ppm. Did a 30% water change, including dechlorinator. Dropped Nitrites to about 2.0 ppm.

Day 3: He is seeming pretty good. Swimming good and exploring tank top and. bottom. Fed him a single blood worm but he became slightly tippy again. Recovered quicker this time. Did another 30% water change. Nitrites still around 1.5 ppm. Bought methylene blue. Added about 2 drops for the whole tank. Trying not to kill plants but help with exposure to high nitrites. Also maintaining about 1 tsp salt per 3.5 gallons, and half the suggested dose of betta fix.

Day 4: Fasted him all day. Did about 50% water change and nitrites finally down to a little less than 1 ppm. Maintaining 2 drops methylene blue and all other additives at same level. He seems more lethargic. Spending more time laying at the bottom. Also drops a little bit as he swims to the top. Fin rot seems to be steady, not getting noticeably worse, but definitely more lethargic and not swimming as freely. Not sure if this is due to fasting or maybe nitrite exposure

Day 5: Planning to feed him a small bite of pea and see how he does. Planning to also do another 50% water change.

Should I be concerned he is spending more time at the bottom of the tank? Is 2 drops of methylene blue and decent constant salt dosage enough to combat the nitrite exposure? Should I up the dosage of methylene blue?

He has been fasted 3 days with only small blood worm in between. Is it okay to feed him a small bit of pea now?

Also I have bought Furan 2 in case the fin rot goes down hill. Should I use it already with moderate fin rot? I will add a pic when I figure out how. I would appreciate all the help I can get. I really would like this little guy to make it.
Consider using Indian Almond Leaf extract or even drop a leaf in his tank. If he is eating pellets, soak them in garlic juice and feed him. Garlic helps in boosting his immune system.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First thing I am going to recommend is focus on ONE medication at a time. Doing multiple can really stress out the fish which can make matters worst. I would stop using the aquarium salt, personally I think its not effective for anything.

I would get him at least a sponge filter going. Daily 50% water changes will help him deal with the stress of the cycling tank and help encourage fin regrowth.

I also wouldn't feed peas. It seems there is a lot of controversy over it as to if it helps with bloat or causes constipation.

Chris92xx

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies!

I bought almond leaf as you suggested but am very hesitant to use it. My water pH is already around 6.5 with low hardness and low alkalinity, all from my tap water. I am scared that it will drop the pH. I bought them and soaked a tiny piece of leaf in water for an hour and then poured that water into the tank. I am not comfortable doing much more than that. Unless someone can offer up advice on it.

I will only use the methylene blue for now and will look into a sponge filter. Can anyone recommend a good one?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the replies!

I bought almond leaf as you suggested but am very hesitant to use it. My water pH is already around 6.5 with low hardness and low alkalinity, all from my tap water. I am scared that it will drop the pH. I bought them and soaked a tiny piece of leaf in water for an hour and then poured that water into the tank. I am not comfortable doing much more than that. Unless someone can offer up advice on it.

I will only use the methylene blue for now and will look into a sponge filter. Can anyone recommend a good one?
I got a cheap sponge filter on ebay, just make sure to check the dimensions to make sure it'll fit in your tank nicely. Some are bigger than others.

As for the almond leaf, I use indian almond leaves in all of my betta tanks, especially if they're healing or anything. I rarely focus on my pH but the leaves really help with hard water.

You could always put a smaller piece in. Most of my tanks I do half a leaf.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check out this link: Homemade Betta Spa to get an idea of how to use IAL.

The others are right, focus on just one med at a time, and get a filter. It sounds like more of his problems are coming from the nitrites than the food. Feed him sparingly once a day. (1 bloodworm or 1-2 pellets. Bloodworms are more of a treat than "real" food. Feeding sparingly will help with ammonia/nitrites/nitrates while cycling.)

Keep doing 50% water changes. Water changes are often more important than meds, so only keep using the treatments, (including salt,) if the fin rot progresses with water changes.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Read this article, Cycle with Fish (fish-in cycle) -, and this thread, Fish In Cycle - What To Do? Help | Betta Fish 370040. There is good advice for a fish-in cycle in both of them, and cycling the tank will go the farthest in helping his fin rot. More likely than not, it started because he was exposed to high levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in the store.

What are your exact water parameters in the tank right now? Knowing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH can all help in prevention and cure. If you can get gH and kH those can help, but are far less important than the first four I mentioned.

If you have PRIME, you should be using it every other day. It's one of the most important things to have on hand when doing a fish-in cycle. If the total ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm, it will be able to detoxify them for 48 hours. This form will not harm fish but will still be able to be used by bacteria, preventing both harm to the fish and starving of the bacteria you're trying to grow.

I'm somewhat concerned by both the presence of nitrites and of the low pH. At a lower pH, the bacteria will grow more slowly, and if it gets too low the cycle can stall completely.

@mattgirl Can you help with the cycling? Something seems off here.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@mattgirl Can you help with the cycling? Something seems off here.
I agree, something isn't right here.
I have to wonder where that nitrite came from. There is no way it should be there.

I would STOP adding anything other than fresh dechlorinated water to this tank. Once I got ALL the salt and ALL the added medications out of the tank with water changes I would add the IAL. It is much more natural than all the other things you are adding to this tank.

Get and use a small sponge filter. This tank will never cycle without some kind of filter.

What kind of test are you using? If strips they might not be giving you the correct numbers. We need the numbers for PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to know what is going on.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, something isn't right here.

I have to wonder where that nitrite came from. There is no way it should be there.

I would STOP adding anything other than fresh dechlorinated water to this tank. Once I got ALL the salt and ALL the added medications out of the tank with water changes I would add the IAL. It is much more natural than all the other things you are adding to this tank.

Get and use a small sponge filter. This tank will never cycle without some kind of filter.

What kind of test are you using? If strips they might not be giving you the correct numbers. We need the numbers for PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to know what is going on.

This is my little guy. He is supposed to be a dragon scale.
Are your plants in little pots with floss around the roots? If they are, your nitrites may be coming from that. I'd advise removing the pots and any floss around the plant roots carefully then putting the plants back in the tank. I agree with @mattgirl a 5 day old tank would not normally have any nitrites present this early in the cycle. Adding Seachem Prime would help protect the fish from the nitrites and would probably be a much better 'nitrite neutralizer' for a betta than salt.

Chris92xx

Reaction score
You guys are all amazing!!! So many thanks! I bought a better test kit because I was using the strips.
pH=6.5
Amonnia= 0.25 ppm
Nitrate= 10 ppm
Nitrite= 0.25 ppm
GH= 75 ppm
KH= About 0 ppm
My plants came with a gel at the base but I removed it all as best as I could.

I was not using prime but I have bought it now. I added 8 drops as this is recommended for my size. Do I add this full dose every two days?

The hole in his fin has gotten about twice as big, but I believe this may be because he flares after I feed him and this may be stretching it.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now that you have got a fairly reliable test kit you may want to run all the tests on your source water too. It helps to know the perimeters of the water you are using for your water changes.

As long as the ammonia plus nitrite reading is below one add enough Prime to the tank for the full 5 gallons. If the numbers add up to one or above do a water change to get them back down and again add Prime.

Since this little guy is already in trouble I wouldn't let the ammonia plus nitrites get up any where close to one though.

Add Prime every other day and when doing water changes. You may be doing them every other day anyway. Keeping those numbers down is even more important when trying to get this little guy healthy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom