Bought A 25g Tank, Worth It Or No?

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got a cycled 25g tank with stand for $100 with fish, decor, a heater, bubbler, and food/new chemicals. Deal or no? Apparently they spent over $500 on it.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
For my area, thats definitely a deal.
Im grabbing a 20 gal tomorrow morning for just the glass tank and a mesh reptile lid for $50 (this is very, very cheap for my locality, most go for 150+ used for same size) so.... $100 for everything plus fish? Thatd been snapped up in seconds here.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can’t provide pics but it’s just one of those overpriced topfin tanks that come with the led lid and hob filter. The heater is probably a cheap one. The food is just the cheap kind and the chemicals are prime fertilizer and dechlorinator.
Sounds like a decent deal but i'm sure you'll end up upgrading some equipment down the line depending on what you plan on adding to it and whatnot. Good luck!

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im grabbing a 20 gal tomorrow morning for just the glass tank and a mesh reptile lid for $50 (this is very, very cheap for my locality, most go for 150+ used for same size) so.... $100 for everything plus fish? Thatd been snapped up in seconds here.
Nice. Petco has a dollar per gallon sale where i live so I could’ve gotten what you’re buying with a mesh lid for probably around $30-40 maybe. Not that much cheaper. Maybe my area is a little cheaper though. Some people post 55 gallons with a nice wood stand for $100.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice. Petco has a dollar per gallon sale where i live so I could’ve gotten what you’re buying with a mesh lid for probably around $30-40 maybe. Not that much cheaper. Maybe my area is a little cheaper though. Some people post 55 gallons with a nice wood stand for $100.
I dont have petco here lol so not an option for me either.
If i wanna buy a lid brand new the cheapest is like $30 ugh

So i think your question will have various answers, depending on peoples local market

Icebear59

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like a decent deal but i'm sure you'll end up upgrading some equipment down the line depending on what you plan on adding to it and whatnot. Good luck!
Do you think it would’ve been a better deal to pick up the 55 gallon with stand for $100? I bet the fish and decor/filter/lights would be more expensive though.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you think it would’ve been a better deal to pick up the 55 gallon with stand for $100? I bet the fish and decor/filter/lights would be more expensive though.
Bigger is always better IMO. Start weith the 25 if yuou already got it and take it from there. And it's pretty safe to say noone in this hobby can keep just one tank. So once your 25 is up n running i'm sure you will find room for another tank

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Getting tanks for free is a better deal.

Last edited:

altwitch

Reaction score
On lids I prefer an open top even with species that are reputed to get a but excitable; however, I do keep a Lowe's bought bit of mesh in the garage in the event of emergency. Have a wood hood for the top of the main tank which covers on 3 sides so that's mostly OK and haven't had to modify (yet). Other tanks are open and so far only loss we've had was one particularly adventurous mystery snail that decided to base jump on us and wound up dying. Would say that's a pretty good record for the 100 or so critters we keep so no immediate plans to change things.

Only limitation I perceive going lidless, mostly to make sure the max light reaches the planted tank, is that I would have to find a solution to keeping hatchetfish who are known jumpers and could cause issues. So far not been worth the pain to find a cover mechanism, but if I did the white grid solution is defo it., Glass and plexi both kill light penetration so issue for us but not if you aren't dealing with plants.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try making a frame using window screen cloth to help allow light and keep jumpers in?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It really depends. I see used tank prices fluctuate all over the board. I bought my 125 with tank, hood, stand, for 200.00. Sometimes Ill see a 55 gallon (most common I come across) for 50.00 for everything and then someone will have one that they are asking 500.00 for. Usually those people did not shop around and spent full price on everything and are trying to sell it hoping to get their money back. I see used stuff marked so cheap on craigslist I would likely never by another new set up again.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it a normal rectangular tank with a flat front, or does it have a curved bow front?

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got into the hobby not long ago I got a good deal on a 60g with stand and all the top gear. After it got set upand running I decided on looking at getting another. I watched classified site and scored 4 tanks (empy) for $100 1 50g 2 25g and a 20g. i made sure they held water, now im peicing things together and should habe my 50g set up this week and i know ill want more so now i have 3 moreto set up in time. Get your 25g set up and justt watch theads youll find that perfect deal in no time, set a notification for the ad and youll be that one that gets that deal

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom