Bought 20 Gs, Down To 9 Overnight.

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I added 20 GS to my 55g. My longfin blue danios, emerald dwarf “rasboras”, and mystery snails all ignored them (while I was watching, anyway). Today so far, I’ve recovered 5 whole dead shrimp, 1 shrimp head, and counting only 9 alive. I only have some short artificial plants in this tank at the moment, so the missing 5 probably aren’t hiding.

This is my first foray into the shrimp world. Are they normally so delicate? Have I done something wrong?

Water today: pH 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly I've bought maybe 60 total for 4 tanks i have 5 left? In one tank.

My fish never ate them. They just up and die.

Your tank is better than mine. I'm pH 7.8 ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20

From what I understand the ones you get at pet stores are just poorly bred. And prone to dying. But I have not tried some from a good breeder yet.

Shrimp can be really sensitive to parameter changes. And you need to make sure you feed them as well not just rely on them feeding off scraps. Not that the last bit has anything to do with your particular situation lol

Did you acclimate them properly?

Chillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i tried to slowly introduce my shrimp over like 2 hours or so, out of 20 (added yesterday) I have like 14ish left today in each tank i added 20 to. read that about 1 in 20 are the odds of keeping them for tank mates, first time i added, all died, second time was 1 out fo 10, on my 3rd time and seems its all about the slow intro and conditioning to the new tank

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been told that a lot of these are breed for food and not so much as pets so they aren't that hardy and tend to die off easier than other shrimp.

E150GT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its a **** shoot. I usually buy them by the dozen when I get them. Last year I bought two dozen and only lost a couple out of each batch. This month I have purchased 2 dozen and only have two surviving at the moment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom