Bought 2 angel fish for my 80 gallon tank, both died..

1. 75 Gallon

75 Gallon Valued Member Member

Hey guys. I got my 80 gallon tank running about a month ago, got it cycled perfectly and stocked it with multiple caves and fake plants. I also have a couple real plants in there such as moss balls and dwarf grass. I started out with Tetras, two common plecos and I love the little guys. I bought two angelfish today along with a RTS and almost immediately one of the angel fish got sucked to the filter. I pulled it off but it kept floating and only barely swimming.. after a couple hours I decided to bring it bac to the store. The lady refunded me saying a lot of the Angel Fish were sick. My second one, much larger looked to be fine but only stayed in the corner of the tank. It did not move when I fed the fish and was no tmoving well at all, only hovering right by the water line. I ended up taking it out and bringing it back to the store. My question is whether I should be worried about my other fish getting sick? Or is this a problem with my tank?

2. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters and how did you cycle?
    You have 2 common plecos?.. you know they get huge and have big bioloads, right? They will need a pond

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    75 Gallon

Hello, yes I realized that after my girlfriend thought they were "cute" and put them in and I did some research. Do you think one common pleco would be okay in this tank? I'm at 0 ammonia and nitrite, my temp goes from 78-80 and no chlorine and my pH ranges from 7.2-7.5. My other fish have been in for a while and are doing fine, very colorful and lively. Would the angel fish being sick affect them? If so are there any remmedies?

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on what the Angels are suffering from and whether it's contagious. Do you have your nitrate results?

I wouldn't put even a single common Pleco in that size tank. There are other Pleco varieties that are nice and stay small though!

5. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

QT tanks are very important. Running a couple meds allows you to be 100% sure any new fish are safe. I personally run 3 meds simultaneously over a weeks time the. Add to my regular tanks.

Of course many petstores dont med or qt fish, so they are very susceptible to whatever else was in the tank since it started. I would say dont worry about it, just keep a close eye and if anything strikes you abnormally look into it then.

6. OP
    OP
    75 Gallon

Thanks for the reply, my nitrate is around 25. I have the home test kits and it is usually 22-27. So both commons need to go? Thank you for letting me know before they got too big!

7. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

Plecos can get huuuge. You'd need at least a 2ft wide tank, meaning a 180gal minimum

Advertisement