5 Gallon Tank Bottom Sitting

Lou2020

New Member
Member
Messages
17
My goldfish is bottom sitting on the tank with a clamped dorsal fin.
Water test results:
GH:180
KH:180
pH:7.5
No2:0
No3:20

Tank is cycled.

I recently posted about a bout of fin rot in this fish. He made a great recovery and the fin is growing back. However last week I noticed two pin hole holes in his dorsal fin and he was clamping and unclamping. I added one table spoon of salt to the tank.

The following morning I had to transport the fish on a 1hr journey as I had no one to feed him as I went home to visit family for 10 days.

The water in my parents house was softer with a KH of only 80. He was showing symptoms of swim bladder (head standing at the bottom of the tank) so I fed peas for a few days.

I am now back in my own house and he is still bottom sitting even though I have done three 50% water changes to get the KH back on track. He is able to swim around the tank if he wants but can be a little awkward.

I have also noticed that the fin that is under his main tail (?) on one side is growing back going above the tail. Could this be hurting him? I have tried to catch him in a net and gently move it back (which he tolerates in fairness) but it just goes back as it’s not very long.

Any ideas?
 

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,080
Is there any possibility of getting a bigger tank? 5g isn't much space for a goldfish (they get huge and are very messy). He'll perk right up in a newly cycled large tank.

If space or cost is the issue then maybe consider rehoming him to someone with a large tank/pond and buying a smaller fish like a betta or an African dwarf frog.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
L

Lou2020

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Ghelfaire said:
Is there any possibility of getting a bigger tank? 5g isn't much space for a goldfish (they get huge and are very messy). He'll perk right up in a newly cycled large tank.

If space or cost is the issue then maybe consider rehoming him to someone with a large tank/pond and buying a smaller fish like a betta or an African dwarf frog.
Hi Ghelfaire,

Thanks for your reply! What size tank would I need to size up to? If not do you know how to go about rehoming a fish? I live in Dublin, Ireland. Is there websites for this type of thing? (I’m very new to this just inherited this fish from a family member and trying to do the right thing by it!)

Louise
 

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,080
At least 30g if it's a fancy but a pond if it's a comet goldfish. Fancy goldfish can get up to 8" and comets 16"+
Unfortunately I'm from Canada so I don't know any Irish websites. However you can ask around about any fish/aquarium clubs in your area or ask any local fish stores if they'll take him in. By local fish store I mean any non big name brand store, for example we have bigger stores like petsmart or petvalu who won't take fish in but we also have a smaller store (the tropical fish room) who will both take in and give store credit for unwanted/extra fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
L

Lou2020

New Member
Member
Messages
17
Ghelfaire said:
At least 30g if it's a fancy but a pond if it's a comet goldfish. Fancy goldfish can get up to 8" and comets 16"+
Unfortunately I'm from Canada so I don't know any Irish websites. However you can ask around about any fish/aquarium clubs in your area or ask any local fish stores if they'll take him in. By local fish store I mean any non big name brand store, for example we have bigger stores like petsmart or petvalu who won't take fish in but we also have a smaller store (the tropical fish room) who will both take in and give store credit for unwanted/extra fish.
We have lots of those big named stores too. I have a local family run petstore that I have just emailed. I feel very sad to have to give him away but if it’s for his own good I think it’s the right decision. Thanks.
 

FishBoy101

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,009
Lou2020 said:
We have lots of those big named stores too. I have a local family run petstore that I have just emailed. I feel very sad to have to give him away but if it’s for his own good I think it’s the right decision. Thanks.
Thank you for doing the right thing for the fish. I wish the best of luck in future fish keeping.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
220
Guests online
3,345
Total visitors
3,565

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom