Bottom Leaves Gone From Filter Flow

MaximumRide14

A couple of my plants don't have leaves on their bottom half due to not enough light and continuous pressure from the filter outflow. I'm moving them to a larger tank away from direct water flow, but should I cut off the part of the stem that doesn't have leaves? Can they grow back? The reason why I haven't yet is because they still have roots, and I don't want to keep the plant from growing if it doesn't have roots. This has only been a problem for stem plants like Ludwigia and bacopa.
Thanks!

Cody

A couple of my plants don't have leaves on their bottom half due to not enough light and continuous pressure from the filter outflow. I'm moving them to a larger tank away from direct water flow, but should I cut off the part of the stem that doesn't have leaves? Can they grow back? The reason why I haven't yet is because they still have roots, and I don't want to keep the plant from growing if it doesn't have roots. This has only been a problem for stem plants like Ludwigia and bacopa.
Thanks!
Ludwigia is notorious for shedding leaves, especially if they are shaded and getting less light toward the bottom. Leaves won’t grow back but it won’t hurt the plant either. Otherwise just cut the bottoms off and replant but you’ll have to wait for new roots to establish and in the mean time they might come out is the substrate occasionally. But they won’t be harmed.

Upvote 0

MaximumRide14

Ludwigia is notorious for shedding leaves, especially if they are shaded and getting less light toward the bottom. Leaves won’t grow back but it won’t hurt the plant either. Otherwise just cut the bottoms off and replant but you’ll have to wait for new roots to establish and in the mean time they might come out is the substrate occasionally. But they won’t be harmed.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't kill them. Can I do the same to the rotala? The problem is mainly with the ludwigia and rotala.

Upvote 0

Cody

Thank you! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't kill them. Can I do the same to the rotala? The problem is mainly with the ludwigia and rotala.
Yes that can be done with any stem plant, which the both are! Sometimes it just become part of plant maintenance over time as your bottom leaves/ lower portions of stems will die off over time.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
acjag
Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies