Bottom feeders Question

1. hegmat Initiate Member

What would be a good bottom feeder for a 30 gal. tank that has 3 black skirt tetras and 11 guppies?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    a nice school of mixed cories(6-7) or 2 bristle nose plecos :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the site. I would suggest 4 more tetras and a group of 6 corys, 6 kuhli loaches, or 4 zebra loaches.

4. hegmat Initiate Member

Thanks, I will look into those fish.

5. joanne Initiate Member

i have 2 hoplo catfish and there great so fun and will eat out of your hand, lovely looking and there like shovels there very heavy eaters and none aggresive great fish

6. Weedcali Initiate Member

Possibly a Red-Tail Shark or a Rainbow shark? thats a good tank size for one of them.

whats the tanks footprint?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Hegmat and Welcome to Fish Lore. :animal0068: To help you to get more responses I have moved your thread to the "aquarium stocking questions" section of the forum.

Too, I'd have to caution you about adding a Red Tail Shark or Rainbow Shark to your current stocking list as mentioned above. Personally I'm afraid you may have aggression issues from the shark towards the smaller fish. I really like to see these two types of sharks in 55g or more and only 1 per tank.
    Thanks!
    Ken

8. Toddnbecka Member Member

Do you want to raise guppy fry in the tank?

9. hegmat Initiate Member

Okay. I added 3 more female guppies and 3 cories.

I added 3 more female guppies and 3 cories. The next day two of the new guppies were dead and since then all but one of my guppies have died. I had 11 and added 3 females guppies and 3 cories. ( I did a partial water cange b/c I looked it up on the web and it said that it could be poor water quality). I have lost 13 guppies in about two weeks. Today I did a 10% water change and my last male guppy seems to be doing fine. Tomorrow I will do another 10% water change and hope all is well. I do not have a test kit at the moment to check the water quaility, but until I get one I hope this will work. It breaks my heart that the water quality could go so fast and kill all my guppies...bty my 3 black skirt tetras and my three cories are all doing fine since I had to treat the tank with meds for ick!! I purchased the three female guppies and the three cories from petco.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You mention that you know about the nitrogen cycle, but just in case, here's a basic rundown:

Fish produce waste. That waste is ammonia. A tank's surface, gravel, decorations, and filter house beneficial bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrites, then the nitrites to nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites can kill a fish, even a small amount. Nitrates (a small amount) can be okay in a tank. A good liquid test kit (API master test kit is recommended) can let you know what your levels are. If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates, you have a tank that has completed the nitrogen cycle. That means that you have enought beneficial bacteria growing in your tank to provide a healthy home for your fish.

I suggest that you get a test kit as soon as possible. A liquid one really is going to be worth the money, API makes a great one, as I mentioned. Also, Seachem Prime is a water conditioner that also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 24 hours at a time.

I'm so sorry about your guppies. It sounds to me like your tank isn't cycled properly, or is going through a mini-cycle. Maybe the ich meds broke the cycle down, I don't know.

11. hegmat Initiate Member

My tank cycled a year ago before I introduced any fish and at the time I was intested in cichlids b/c that is what I had as a kid and never had any problems except they can grow too large for their enviroment. Once we added the fish it cycled again and the pet store told me this was good and it was called a cycle. We never had a problem with this tank. We moved our last Jewel cichlid to another tank and put our black skirt tetras in the 30 gal. tank and a friend gave us 11 guppies. They were all doing great and I even had 5 pregnant female guppies. Once we added the other 3 female guppies and the 3 cories, that was when it all went down hill. The guppies were dying before the ick showed up on the black skirt tetras and the cories. I thought that the meds would help, but it didn't. I will purchase a water test kit ASAP and hope that my last guppy will live. Until till then I will continue to do water changes increasing to 50% in about 2 weeks. I would like to add more in the future so we can have some fry, I hope that this will help until I can get a test kit. I can guarentee I will not add any more guppies without a test kit and doing 50% water changes weekly.

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean. You did a fishless cycle and then something happened to ruin your cycle, so you had to cycle again with fish? :;dk When you use the word "cycle", do you mean the nitrogen cycle/creating the bacterial colony as I described in my last post? Or do you mean something else? Also, without a test kit, how do you know your tank was cycled? I'm a bit confused...

That sounds like a good idea. I think it's very important to know what was going on with your water before you add more fish.

13. Toddnbecka Member Member

Adding 3 guppies and 3 cory cats to an established tank isn't likely to increase the bioload enough to matter, certainly not likely to kill off the guppies and leave the other fish alive. More likely you introduced some disease along with the new guppies; that's what quarantine tanks are for.
    I had a similar thing happen with endler's livebearers some time ago. I got a batch of new stock and didn't QT them, just dumped them in with the others. The new additions had some disease that didn't kill them all at once, or even quickly. Oddly enough, it seemed to hit the females more than the males. I was able to save some fry by moving/isolating them right after they were born, but I eventually lost all the females in the tank. Several males did survive, apparently they never caught whatever it was, and neither did the several small BN pleco's in the tank.
    After the males finally died off (apparently from old age) I moved some healthy endler's into the tank. They're doing what they normally do, making more endler's and crowding the tank.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Hegmat. Sorry to hear that you've lost some fish. Some great tips and suggestions above. Are you putting your new fish into quarantine? Here is a link you may find helpful.
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup
    Best wishes!
    Ken