Bottom Feeders

FishManiak18

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking to put in some kind of bottom feeder. I would like to put in a small pleco and some sort of other fish.
Currently I have
3 Pearl Gourami
10 Congo Tetra
A pair of apisto agasizzi
They are all currently in a 55 gallon with water temp at 80f
I wouldnt mind a school of corys or a school of another fish I just don't really know what's out there. I am also interested in loaches if that helps. Thanks!

Faytaya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't get a pleco. Most will outgrow a 55 gal. I recommend khulI loaches, about a group of six or more. They're adorable, colorful, and best of all, they are a clean, low-bioload fish that will fit in with what you have stocked. They're docile and never bother anything.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Common plecos will out grow a 55g, but there are plenty of other types that will do just fine.

Bristlenose Pleco (regular, albino or red versions)
Clown Pleco
Rubber Lipped Pleco

Those stay under 6" long.

I agree w/ Faytaya about the kuhli's. I keep them and they are very entertaining.

A pair of Peacock Eels might do good also. I have a pair in a community tank with zero issues.

I have albino and peppered Cory's and they have also been very hardy in my experience.

In my 75 gallon community tank, the kuhli's, peacock eels and Corys all do fine together.

Faytaya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Common plecos will out grow a 55g, but there are plenty of other types that will do just fine.

Bristlenose Pleco (regular, albino or red versions)
Clown Pleco
Rubber Lipped Pleco

Those stay under 6" long.

I agree w/ Faytaya about the kuhli's. I keep them and they are very entertaining.

A pair of Peacock Eels might do good also. I have a pair in a community tank with zero issues.

I have albino and peppered Cory's and they have also been very hardy in my experience.

In my 75 gallon community tank, the kuhli's, peacock eels and Corys all do fine together.
I didn't know there were any smaller plecos. Will those fit a 35 gal or no?

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I also suggest kuhlI loaches

They party all night and then drape themselves over things after like theyre all hungover lol theyre cute and weird fish and theyre quite entertaining. Mine adore the leaf litter, you always see them slithering around under the leaves and eating the fuzz that grows on the newer leaf additions. Theres very few downsides to having these guys around (gotta cover the intake tubes of your filter and keep a good lid on the tank--they can squeeze inside and jump out of the tank)

Attachments

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Faytaya said:
I didn't know there were any smaller plecos. Will those fit a 35 gal or no?
There are many plecos that stay under 4", 6", 12", etc. I have 12 plecos in a 40b. Most are juveniles and it's a temp tank for them to grow out. Most plecos grow to about 2/3rds size in the first year or two and can take many more years to reach full size.

Donthemon said:
6 Cory’s would be nice. They are fun to watch.
I would do at least 12 for a 55g. SterbaI can handle the warmer water.

You would need much more than 6 Kuhlis in a 55g. I would go with 12-18 at least. I have 11 in a 20 gallon long.

Snailerator

Reaction score
FishManiak18 said:
Hey all, I am looking to put in some kind of bottom feeder. I would like to put in a small pleco and some sort of other fish.
Currently I have
3 Pearl Gourami
10 Congo Tetra
A pair of apisto agasizzi
They are all currently in a 55 gallon with water temp at 80f
I wouldnt mind a school of corys or a school of another fish I just don't really know what's out there. I am also interested in loaches if that helps. Thanks!
I'm getting zebra loaches in my 55. Think they look awesome, r super peaceful, don't get too big, low bio load. Just make sure to get a school or else they won't ever come out

OP
F

FishManiak18

Reaction score
BottomDweller said:
A clown pleco would be best imo. They stay small and are temperature compatible.
A school of 10-20 sterbaI cories, bronze cories or kuhlI loaches would also be nice.
Hey, I want to be adding the fish in waves. Is there any possibility I could add ten and then add some more later or would they all have to be added at the same time?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding fish in groups isn't a problem.

OP
F

FishManiak18

Reaction score
DarkOne said:
Adding fish in groups isn't a problem.
Alright, Thanks. I just didnt know if their would be issues between the two groups if I added them in sections.

OP
F

FishManiak18

Reaction score
NoodleKeeper said:
I also suggest kuhlI loaches

They party all night and then drape themselves over things after like theyre all hungover lol theyre cute and weird fish and theyre quite entertaining. Mine adore the leaf litter, you always see them slithering around under the leaves and eating the fuzz that grows on the newer leaf additions. Theres very few downsides to having these guys around (gotta cover the intake tubes of your filter and keep a good lid on the tank--they can squeeze inside and jump out of the tank)
Also, I loved the way kuhlI loaches look so I am also going to add them to a 40 gallon I am setting up. What substrate would y'all reccomend for them. I know they like sand, but and suggestions?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 11 kuhlis in a 20 gallon long with BDBS.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FishManiak18 said:
Also, I loved the way kuhlI loaches look so I am also going to add them to a 40 gallon I am setting up. What substrate would y'all reccomend for them. I know they like sand, but and suggestions?

Any sand is fine, or a fine gravel since they like to sift food through their gills and some substrates can damage their barbels

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishManiak18 said:
Thanks! I was looking for a black substrate anyway. Any recomendations if I were to use it? Like extra washing or stuff like that.
I fill a 1/4 to 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket with BDBS and a drop of Dawn dish soap (plain blue). Fill to about 1/2 with water and swish it around with your hand for about 30-60 sec. Rinse well and dump into your tank.

NoodleKeeper said:
Any sand is fine, or a fine gravel since they like to sift food through their gills and some substrates can damage their barbels
It takes a lot for a substrate to damage their barbels (cories too). Barbel erosion is most likely a bacteria or parasite issue. I have many cories and kuhlis on BDBS with no issues.

OP
F

FishManiak18

Reaction score
DarkOne said:
I fill a 1/4 to 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket with BDBS and a drop of Dawn dish soap (plain blue). Fill to about 1/2 with water and swish it around with your hand for about 30-60 sec. Rinse well and dump into your tank.

It takes a lot for a substrate to damage their barbels (cories too). Barbel erosion is most likely a bacteria or parasite issue. I have many cories and kuhlis on BDBS with no issues.
Thanks for everything!

New Threads