Bottom Feeders For 20 Gallon High 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ktgruner, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

Starting to think about adding to a 20 gallon high. Currently in the tank are 2 honey gouramis and 7 zebra danios.

I’d like to add a bottom feeder, but already have BN Plecos in other tanks so am looking for something different. I think corys are adorable, but not sure the footprint of the 20 gallon high is enough for them, and the substrate in the tank is gravel not sand.

What are some other options for bottom feeders? I like shrimp and snails, but want some sort of fish - preferably something I can find at someplace like Petco since the closest fish store is over three hours away.

2. picolo003Valued MemberMember

If u get a cory that stays small, like a pygmy or a salt and pepper they should be fine. You could also get a smaller pleco like a rubberlip or a clown. Otocinclus are also very cool, but you need to find healthy ones

3. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

The gravel in the tank is fairly large, but smooth, so I just worry that the corys wouldn’t be as happy as they would be with a nice sandy substrate.

I like the otos, but would definitely not buy them from Petco. I’ve seen them there a few times but not frequently, and they haven’t looked super healthy those times. I would make a trip to the actual fish store for those little guys - the stock there always seems to be much healthier than Petco lol!

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Why not swap out the gravel for sand? Super easy, and then you can get a school of one of the small cories. Petco often carries (or can order for you) panda cories.

5. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

I have sand in my main tank, and opted to do gravel in this one because every time I vacuum I end up sucking up a bunch of sand - is there a trick to vacuuming tanks with sand? I feel like I have to replace most of the sand with every water change so I wanted something a little easier to maintain with this tank. I’ve tried kinking the house to slow the flow of water but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Maybe I’m just not vacuuming correctly?

6. AlbifronsWell Known MemberMember

You could do corydoras like the others suggested, but I'd also consider investing in some shrimp, since they're just such a great cleanup crew! I've got about 9 Golden Back Yellow Shrimp in my tank, and they've just begun breeding, so I'm expecting babies very soon! Shrimp are a joy to watch, and they're pretty low maintenance as well, feeding off of dead plant matter and biofilm in the aquarium.

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yes, don't stick the siphon tube into the sand. Just wave it around, about an inch from the sand.

8. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

Haha I’ll have to try that with the main tank this weekend. It’s the first one I’ve done with sand so I’ve had some growing pains - but I do love watching the BN I have in there dig into the sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice