Bottom Feeders For 10 Gallon

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Franco, May 29, 2018.

1. Franco

FrancoValued MemberMember

Hello All!

So I am currently cycling a new 10 gallon aquarium and want to eventually add either a bottom feeder or a snail (most likely a Nerite). However, I need some help deciding what type of bottom feeders would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank. Thanks!

2. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf corydoras would be a good bottom feeder fish. As long as the fish you plan on getting are aggressive.

3. OP
    OP
    Franco

Is that because the dwarf corydoras are also aggressive?

4. bryangar

Oops! I meant aren’t. sorry.

5. OP
    OP
    Franco

Oh ok great!

6. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Actually, all kinds of cories are best for a 20 gallon, even pygmies, because they are so active.

For bottom feeder, snails, and also shrimp. Let me know if you like the shrimp, I have stocking ideas :)

7. Aureus

AureusValued MemberMember

The footprint of a 10-gallon tank is definitely too small for Corydoras, so I would have to recommend the Nerite snail. They have a relatively small bioload and come in some really pretty colors/designs.

8. OP
    OP
    Franco

Hmmm.... I haven't even considered shrimp. What would be the benefit of putting a shrimp in the tank over a Nerite? Or is it just personal preference?

Thanks! Yeah I saw some of the designs on the snails and particularly like the Tiger Nerites.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
  9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Dwarf Corydoras. Also check out Hara jerdoni, or even Khuli Loaches.

10. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks!

11. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

The shrimp will be more active. Nerites move very slowly. Nerites would be safer though. Less likely to be attacked.

12. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks! I'm actually thinking about getting a shrimp now. If I wanted could I get both... or are the shrimp and Nerites incompatible?

13. emmysjj

I don’t have shrimp, but I have a snail, and they do a great job. So personal preference.

14. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

You could get more than one shrimp. I would say 3 or 4. Red cherries would be good.

No compatibility issues that I know of between shrimp and Nerites.

15. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks!

Oh good... maybe I'll get 1 or 2 shrimp and a snail. I like the diversity!

16. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

If you’re going with dwarf shrimp, then might as well go with at least a dozen, instead of only one or two.

17. emmysjj

The shrimp will breed, if they are neocardia, and you could easily do 10.

18. OP
    OP
    Franco

A dozen with fish... or just a dozen shrimp for the whole tank? Why is that? Are they better in groups?

Thanks! Is there a reason you are recommending so many... do they have to be kept in groups or could I just do 1 or 2?

19. bryangar

It also depends on what show piece fish you plan on adding.

A dozen shrimp will help start a nice colony.
    You can add as many or as little shrimp as you like.

20. OP
    OP
    Franco

Great! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice