Bottom feeders and algae eaters

Mike25

Reaction score
I can't seem to keep my bottom feeders and algae eaters alive. I have tested the water and it is fine. I have a 36 US gallon bow front tank. I was told it was maybe due to have a too clean tank but I'm not so sure. I have algae gowing on the glass and I don't use any algae destroyer. Any suggestions  ???

Thanks,

Mike

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
HI welcome to fishlore. What are your Water readings? What other fish do you have in the tank. What is happening to the fish when they die? Any discoloration, or visable marks? I have never heard of a tank being to clean and causing a problem. Are you finding them algae wafers or just letting them eat the algae in the tank? Do you have any hiding places in the tank for them. Algea eaters like t hide during the day. My pleco hides inside somedrift wood during theday and comes out at night to eat, so if you have no hiding spots for him, he good be getting stressed out.

Brian

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All good questions ... yup. What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH readings? How long have you had the tank? What other (and how many) fish do you have? How soon after you set up your tank, did you add your fish to it? How many fish at once have you added? What is your temperature? Were you feeding the algae eaters with anything?

New Threads