Bottom Feeder With Convict

Greengirl87

Is there any bottom feeder I can keep with a single female convict in a 29 gallon tank? Small variety of pleco maybe? I've seen people say plecos are one of the only things tough enough to stand up to convicts. But of course people are always talking about a breeding pair. I just have the female. Idk if it is different when you just have one vs a pair.

I love me some cory cats! But I don't think they'd be good with her. They'd probably get bullied to death. I am really interested in ottos, but it seems like it would be the same situation with them. Thus far all I've tried is snails, she picked at them.

So the only thing I can find that might work is a pleco. And since it is a pretty small tank, it would have to be one of the smaller kinds of plecos that only get to like 4 inches. Idk. Thoughts?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Might try a few Y. Modesta Botias aka Red Tail Loaches.
Best scavenger fish I've ever kept. Buy as juveniles, relatively slow grower. A very tough, active & durable Loach.
20190818_115102.jpg

OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

A201 said:
Might try a few Y. Modesta Botias aka Red Tail Loaches.
Best scavenger fish I've ever kept. Buy as juveniles, relatively slow grower. A very tough, active & durable Loach.
20190818_115102.jpg
I really like the look of that fish! It reminds me of a red tail shark, which I really wanted. But there is the same problem with both, they need a minimum of 55 gallons. Even if it is slow growing as you say, I can't keep it in a 29 for very long. Idk when or even if I'd be able to upgrade the convict to a bigger tank. It is a space issue, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. If I had more space, sure I'd set up a bigger tank in a heartbeat. But as is now, I'm pushing my space limits with a 55, 29, 20 hex, 20H, and 5 gallon aquariums. As well as a 55, 75, and two 18"x18" footprint reptile tanks. Lol!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom