Bottom Feeder With Convict

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Greengirl87, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Greengirl87

Greengirl87Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +100
    Experience:
    3 years
    Is there any bottom feeder I can keep with a single female convict in a 29 gallon tank? Small variety of pleco maybe? I've seen people say plecos are one of the only things tough enough to stand up to convicts. But of course people are always talking about a breeding pair. I just have the female. Idk if it is different when you just have one vs a pair.

I love me some cory cats! But I don't think they'd be good with her. They'd probably get bullied to death. I am really interested in ottos, but it seems like it would be the same situation with them. Thus far all I've tried is snails, she picked at them.

So the only thing I can find that might work is a pleco. And since it is a pretty small tank, it would have to be one of the smaller kinds of plecos that only get to like 4 inches. Idk. Thoughts?

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,538
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Might try a few Y. Modesta Botias aka Red Tail Loaches.
    Best scavenger fish I've ever kept. Buy as juveniles, relatively slow grower. A very tough, active & durable Loach. 20190818_115102.

3. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Greengirl87Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +100
    Experience:
    3 years
    I really like the look of that fish! It reminds me of a red tail shark, which I really wanted. But there is the same problem with both, they need a minimum of 55 gallons. Even if it is slow growing as you say, I can't keep it in a 29 for very long. Idk when or even if I'd be able to upgrade the convict to a bigger tank. It is a space issue, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. If I had more space, sure I'd set up a bigger tank in a heartbeat. But as is now, I'm pushing my space limits with a 55, 29, 20 hex, 20H, and 5 gallon aquariums. As well as a 55, 75, and two 18"x18" footprint reptile tanks. Lol!