10 Gallon Tank Bottom Feeder to go with 2 peacock gudgeons?

• Thread starter Chewbacca773
  • Start date

Chewbacca773

I was trying to find tank mates for peacock gudgeons in a 10 gallon with a middle swimmer but the tank ended up being fully stocked each time, so I decided to remove the middle swimmer from my plan and just go with a bottom feeder. Any ideas? (By the way, I'm just planning)

Crimson_687

Well Known
You could do Pygmy/dwarf Corys, salt and pepper Corys (these are the smallest Cory that isn’t the Pygmy. Other Corys, like bronze or albino will be too large), ghost shrimp (will breed, providing live food/shrimplets for your gudgeons, while adults are large enough to not be picked on), or amano shrimp. For Corys, you will need a minimum of 6. For ghost shrimp you could do anywhere from 3-15 in a 10 gallon. For Amanos I would do 3-5 in a 10g

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
You could do Pygmy/dwarf Corys, salt and pepper Corys (these are the smallest Cory that isn’t the Pygmy. Other Corys, like bronze or albino will be too large), ghost shrimp (will breed, providing live food/shrimplets for your gudgeons, while adults are large enough to not be picked on), or amano shrimp. For Corys, you will need a minimum of 6. For ghost shrimp you could do anywhere from 3-15 in a 10 gallon. For Amanos I would do 3-5 in a 10g
How many salt and pepper corys? Would gravel be okay as a substrate? Also, what would I feed them?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
How many salt and pepper corys? Would gravel be okay as a substrate? Also, what would I feed them?
You will need 6. You would feed them supplements, like algae wafers, blanched veggies, shrimp pellets, and they will also eat uneaten fish food. However, if you have gravel, shrimp would be a better bet. Shrimp will eat algae and biofilm in your tank as well as supplements. They will eat uneaten fish food, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blanched veggies, etc

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
You will need 6. You would feed them supplements, like algae wafers, blanched veggies, shrimp pellets, and they will also eat uneaten fish food. However, if you have gravel, shrimp would be a better bet. Shrimp will eat algae and biofilm in your tank as well as supplements. They will eat uneaten fish food, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blanched veggies, etc
Just to be clear, If I want salt and pepper cories, I have to change the substrate?
Edit: Substrate is smooth-edged gravel
Edit 2: Does it matter if I have sharp decorations in the tank?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
Just to be clear, If I want salt and pepper cories, I have to change the substrate?
Edit: Substrate is smooth-edged gravel
Smooth edge should be ok. The main concern is that Corys (I’m referring to both Pygmy Cory AND salt and pepper Cory here) is that gravel can damage their barbels, and so sand is preferred. What kind of substrate is it? Polished substrate can be usable

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
Smooth edge should be ok. The main concern is that Corys (I’m referring to both Pygmy Cory AND salt and pepper Cory here) is that gravel can damage their barbels, and so sand is preferred. What kind of substrate is it? Polished substrate can be usable
This is the substrate. Sorry for bad quality.
WIN_20200811_18_50_21_Pro.jpg

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
This is the substrate. Sorry for bad quality.
WIN_20200811_18_50_21_Pro.jpg
Do shrimp, I don’t think corydora will be comfortable on that.

Edit; looked at it more carefully, I think they should be ok. The reason sand is preferred is bcs it’s easier for them to sift through, but as long as food doesn’t fall through i think it’s fine, you should get a second opinion tho

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
How many ghost shrimp would you suggest to go with the 2 gudgeons?
Edit: Could I do Cherry Shrimp? (If so, how many?)

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
How many ghost shrimp would you suggest to go with the 2 gudgeons?
Edit: Could I do Cherry Shrimp? (If so, how many?)
I wouldn’t do cherry shrimp, they’re much smaller and may be picked on. You can try cherry shrimp if you’d like, a good colony starter would be 8-15 shrimp, but IMO the ghost shrimp is a better bet as they’re bigger and much less sensitive, they’re also cheaper so even if your gudgeons make a meal out of them it’s a less expensive live food. Ghost shrimp and shrimp in general have a low bioload, so you could do 3-15 in a 10 gallon, 3 as a minimum since they’re social, 8-15 if you intend to start a colony of them. For cherries I’d say a minimum of 5 so they feel safe

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
I wouldn’t do cherry shrimp, they’re much smaller and may be picked on. You can try cherry shrimp if you’d like, a good colony starter would be 8-15 shrimp, but IMO the ghost shrimp is a better bet as they’re bigger and much less sensitive, they’re also cheaper so even if your gudgeons make a meal out of them it’s a less expensive live food. Ghost shrimp and shrimp in general have a low bioload, so you could do 3-15 in a 10 gallon, 3 as a minimum since they’re social, 8-15 if you intend to start a colony of them. For cherries I’d say a minimum of 5 so they feel safe
So I'm thinking like 7 cherries. Should I establish them before I add the gudgeons...I have to wait till fall to order them anyway.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
So I'm thinking like 7 cherries. Should I establish them before I add the gudgeons...I have to wait till fall to order them anyway.
Sorry I thought you already had the gudgeons,

The cherry shrimp will breed on their own and you can supplement with Bacter AE, especially if the tank is newer it’s a good thing to do since shrimplets eat biofilm. When you get the gudgeons they will eat shrimplets and may pick on adults, but it’s not likely they will massacre the tank unless they’re especially aggressive. Give the shrimp plenty of places to hide, and floating plants will especially help make sure at least some of the shrimplets survive to adulthood. Make sure you either have a sponge filter or cover your intake with a prefilter or cloth piece so your shrimplets are not sucked up by the filter

Chewbacca773

Crimson_687 said:
Sorry I thought you already had the gudgeons,

The cherry shrimp will breed on their own and you can supplement with Bacter AE, especially if the tank is newer it’s a good thing to do since shrimplets eat biofilm. When you get the gudgeons they will eat shrimplets and may pick on adults, but it’s not likely they will massacre the tank unless they’re especially aggressive. Give the shrimp plenty of places to hide, and floating plants will especially help make sure at least some of the shrimplets survive to adulthood. Make sure you either have a sponge filter or cover your intake with a prefilter or cloth piece so your shrimplets are not sucked up by the filter
That sounds good. Just to be sure...they are okay on gravel, right? Also, could you recommend an easy to care for floating plant?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
That sounds good. Just to be sure...they are okay on gravel, right? Also, could you recommend an easy to care for floating plant?
Yes, they’re good on gravel. Some good floating plants are duckweed, Salvinia, red root floater, water lettuce, or frogbit, however some may be illegal in your area since some of these plants are invasive. These are very easy care for, just throw them in, as long as the tank doesn’t have strong current. I use a circle of airline tubing to make sure they stay on one side of the tank. These plants will grow roots that your baby shrimp can hide in, other plants you can do are plants that don’t truly float but you can have them as a mop, like hornwort, wisteria, water sprite, and elodea. These are less invasive but are still easy to care for and will grow pretty fast in good conditions. I would recommend these over floating plants for shrimplets, it gives them more room to hide whereas the roots of floating plants are more accessible to your fish. For ground cover an easy plant is java moss, you can have it as a bed or let it grow on driftwood, this one won’t grow as fast as the other tho. All of these plants will not only give your shrimp a place to hide but also serve as a place for their food to grow

Top Bottom